pricing for a jewellery box

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thetyreman

Established Member
Reaction score
had a potential commission for a jewellery box, I've not given a price because if I'm honest I just can't do it for a pittance, it's something I see regularly where people are making stuff for only just a bit more than material cost, that's not a criticism but something I have observed,

so I've said I'll get back to them, they are a friend and he wants it for his girlfriend, he also is not poor and making decent money, actually very decent money.

I've tried asking him what his budget is and he's responded with 'I don't know as I don't know what these things are worth'

I know it's a very complex subject but what is the best way I can price a job like this? I was reading alan peters book cabinet making the professional approach but it's quite complicated how he breaks the process down,

I could do with some advice on it,

regards,

Ben.

I would find an excuse not to do it. the budget will be about £50, and you will be competing with something mass produced.

Dont do it.
A "decent" set of hinges will cost more than what he wants to spend.
Explain that materials alone will exceed a £100, and keep your friend.
Unless he would be happy with a "conversation piece" box, or, you could drop your value and work for 50 pence an hour just to prove you can do it :roll: :roll:

I've sold a few boxes now, and they have just about covered materials and consumables. 8)

As Phil says - show him some ideas and costs and take it from there.
As primarily a box maker, I always look at prices and these can vary from a few pounds for "tatt" to literally thousands if you go for someone like Ian Hawthorn.
I live close to a gallery who approached me to see if I wanted to display my boxes for sale: -
Artifex
As you can see these are very well made but aren't cheap due to the gallery mark up and I didn't want a piece sitting there for years - so I declined (but it was nice to be asked).
I've listed some box makers - sorry I don't have time to put in full links but it should give you a start.
Andrew Crawford (mainly veneered boxes)
Ian Hawthorne ( -"-)
Peter lloyd
Phillip Sewell
Thomas Wittingham
Peter Rolfe
Brooks Handley
Young Jones
The Art of Containment
Remember if you are making a really top end box, it can take nearly as much time as a small piece of furniture (say a coffee table) and often buyers don't realise that as a box is much smaller(!) so you might need to explain that to your customer.
To emphasise the point, ask him for as many details as possible (type of wood, joints, hinges, trays, linings etc.) that he wants, that way it will help him appreciate what goes into your box.

Work out your materials costs, approx time x your hourly rate and give him a flat price.

Don't get into the fine details, don't argue or haggle, that's how bad feeling is created.

I never get into those kinds of things with customers, or at least keep the details brief. They tell me what they want, I give them a price, they can take it or leave it.

It may be that they want you to make it for her because you are a friend and it may add specialness for it to be a one off bespoke item.

I would be dead straight and say a cheap commercial box costs £50 (or whatever) and a hand made high end box by a top class maker is £2000, with top quality hinges, locks and nice wood / quality leather or felt.

For a top class box it will cost me at least £300 in materials. So if you want an heirloom type box I can do it for £800 but it will take me a while as I don't do them often.

Explain that to make it means that you give up a lot of time that you could otherwise be earning and so although he is getting mates rates you can't do it for less and will quite understand if he decided to buy her a ready made box.

People ask me to make things as they think I will do it cheaper than a mass produced item, they think your time costs nothing it's a tricky one to explain to them you don't work for peanuts.

Pete

sunnybob":bbbl3ftk said:
Dont do it.
Explain that materials alone will exceed a £100, and keep your friend.
Unless he would be happy with a "conversation piece" box, or, you could drop your value and work for 50 pence an hour just to prove you can do it :roll: :roll:

I've sold a few boxes now, and they have just about covered materials and consumables. 8)
Agreed, most punters have no idea (or very little) of what things actually cost to make. Materials, including hardware (say a decent set of hinges from Brusso or Ian Hawthorne) could set probably set you back over a £100, then you'd need to factor in your time to make the job. If I do occasionally make for family (not inc the kids) I only charge for materials and other consumables - Rob

I'm not going to be using the best most expensive hinges for this, so that won't be a problem, thanks for the feedback, lots to think about. :D

Never thought those hinges were that expensive.
The wood hinge box, which Cosman has a few videos on, could be done on the cheap though.

I must look up Alan Peters book, sounds an interesting read, thanks.
Tom

marcros":1zkgwl34 said:
I would find an excuse not to do it. the budget will be about £50,
sunnybob":1zkgwl34 said:

As you both seem to be able to predict things, how about some help with this week's lottery numbers? :D

I can safely predict that any "favour" for a friend will result in a loss of income, and usually the loss of a friend as well.
Theres a good reason for the saying "never mix business with pleasure"

I can also safely predict 12,999,999 lottery numbers that will NOT win. Is that good enough :roll: :roll: (hammer) (hammer)

whiskywill":29vj513y said:
marcros":29vj513y said:
I would find an excuse not to do it. the budget will be about £50,
sunnybob":29vj513y said:

As you both seem to be able to predict things, how about some help with this week's lottery numbers? :D

I will pm you.

sunnybob":3j1tb0qa said:
I can also safely predict 12,999,999 lottery numbers that will NOT win. Is that good enough :roll: :roll: (hammer) (hammer)

Doing much better than me,
I predict 6 numbers every week that are gteed not to win. :(

The problem is, by the time I have written down the 13 million minus one wrong numbers, that weeks draw has gone and I have to start writing again. :roll:

Latest posts

Back