Price to fit an external door?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
SWMBO has just got a quote for a new 'hardwood' back door from the main supplier of wood doors & windows in my area (Munster Joinery). Price for the door itself was pretty steep at €750, but not that far off what I expected. But you could have knocked me down with a feather when she told me the price they had given her for fitting - €500!!! :shock: This is a standard fee for a standard installation, nothing fancy. She got the quote because I thought I didn't have time to make the door myself - after hearing this price I'm now reconsidering!

I was just wondering how much the pros on here would charge for a standard external door installation? I remember Gidon being given a high price for fitting a while ago, but I don't think it was anything close to this amount.

Cheers,
Neil

Actually Neil - it wasn't far off that figure! That was including fitting all the hardware. That's why I did it myself in the end (and it wasn't too bad to be honest). Good luck!
Cheers
Gidon

gidon":34vfi86l said:
Actually Neil - it wasn't far off that figure! That was including fitting all the hardware. That's why I did it myself in the end (and it wasn't too bad to be honest). Good luck!
Cheers
Gidon

You can have a go at mine if you like, old house, not a square joint in the frame - bloody nightmare and now the damn thing has swollen and is sticking.

I fit nothing but doors for 5 months before I stopped to reclaim my sanity. That really is quite a price you've been quoted. I used to charge circa £100 for an external (door only) including letter plate. It shouldn't take much longer than 3 hours even if you have to scribe all 4 edges.

I can fit two doors a day and I've not done that many. At £200 a day, so I think anything over £200 per door is extortionate.

It's the old catch 'added value' hoping the customer will take the easy 'all done for you' option. My advice is to buy the door but find your own chippie to fit it.

Ike

MIGNAL":3mg2ig1p said:
I fit nothing but doors for 5 months before I stopped to reclaim my sanity. That really is quite a price you've been quoted. I used to charge circa £100 for an external (door only) including letter plate. It shouldn't take much longer than 3 hours even if you have to scribe all 4 edges.

Same here, I did nothing but hang internal and external doors for 7 months during my apprenticeship. I didn't mind though, as its a job I enjoyed (and still do). I usually charge £80 for externals. 500 euros is just wrong.

After doing the DVD Library I have just started fitting some internal doors.

They are all 44mm thick so just like externals and solid. However they came from spain and im also putting in the door liner as well.

Best bit is that they (I advised him for my own sanity) exactly 24mm narrower although normal height.

I am fitting all the liners for a couple of days by cutting out the head of the existing liner, planting a 12mm ply board to either egde and gripfilling the new liner in. Holds perfect and no visable fixings.

Best bit is I can square up the liner exactly and I dont even have to trim the doors. Long screws for the hinges which will go through the new liner, the ply board and right into the existing liner...

Nice easy job and no trimming. Price £1650.00 so about £180 a door and that includes the liner (although it is a easy fit)

Marky

£160 - £200 per external door sounds about right (fitting only )

I charge about £120 for an external front door with letterbox, more if it needs a lot of glazing.

I will pass one comment. With very expensive doors, you CANNOT rush them, furthermore, I would charge a bit extra... just in case something did go wrong.!

mark

Thanks, everyone - nice to have confirmation that the price is as crazy as I thought it was. Looks like I'll be hanging the door myself, even if I get someone else to make it.

Cheers,
Neil

last external door i fitted i think i charged £100, it took about 4 hrs
however the last door and frame i fitted i charged £130 took 3 1/2hrs
it depends what problems you come across , which you never plan for .
i do prefer to start afresh and replace the frame as well
mel

I guess that makes my standard charge of £20 for an internal door seem pretty cheap, maybe it's time to review my prices...

Dennis

Jorden":3gjegnfm said:
I guess that makes my standard charge of £20 for an internal door seem pretty cheap, maybe it's time to review my prices...
I'd say so, Dennis - I could fly you over here, put you up in a hotel for the night and still save money!

Cheers,
Neil

Out of interest, are these quotes for installing mortice lock, nightlatch, letterbox (including cutting the hole neatly), glazing and hanging the door? That's what bumped my price up. For me installing the locks (inc on the frame) took a fair amount of time - probably similiar to hanging the door. (Additionally adding the weather sealing took about the same again - but that wasn't in the quote!)
Cheers
Gidon

Well, for my quote it was for a back door so no letterbox. No glazing either - this was for a unglazed door. It would have included fitting of locks though (I hope!)

Cheers,
Neil

neil, for a back door that does seem very expensive, though to be honest £500 just to supply a back door seems a bit steep. but each to their own... :)

I always ensure I allow 1 full day to fit an external hardwood door, (more I'f I've got to stain it) as I've said, you can't afford to screw one up and you dont know just what problems you may occur - I did one a few years back where the flipping frame was a trapeziod type shape. By golly did that take some planing! :?

mark

Pecker":20gt85zl said:
neil, for a back door that does seem very expensive, though to be honest £500 just to supply a back door seems a bit steep. but each to their own... :)

Don't worry, Mark - I wont be buying the door from them either!

cheers,
Neil

Jorden":30juhrac said:

Dennis

i think £20 is about right for internals. Thats what I charge. Theres *usually* less work fitting internals (1 less hinge= 2 less hinge recesses, mortice latch= 1 hole as opposed to mortice lock=lots of holes and chiselling). Also internals are usually lighter unless the home owner has chosen some type of dense hardwood.

I can normally fit 8 internals in a day unless the frames are really bad (bowed and out of level heads especielly) so for me £20 a door is about right.

I thought I'd add the 8 a day is with the help of an electric planer, the most I've in a day with a hand plane is 6 and I was extremely tired at the end of the day :oops:

Back