Price shock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brought a month or 2 ago the best oak I've used from heaths and that was 8 by 1 and it was 9ft long. that was £30 a board. but it was a bit ago. it was really stable and never moved after it was planed very little wastage

Glad you cancelled I was in the same situation a few months ago at Sykes. They rushed me for £250 restocking fee or something on a £1400 order of ash that should have been about £500. I've used whitmores but they are a bit pricey too. Last order I used Timbersource and they delivered on DX overnight.

I pay just over £50 cuft at British Hardwoods but it depends on what they quoted you for. 20 lm of 8 X 1 PAR at British Hardwoods works out at over £500 so not far off Hymor price if it was for PAR. Machining costs and wastage are high
Not machined at all ,rough sawn.

has anybody ever used iwood at Stafford?

I have a couple of times to buy packs of beech and oak. The oak was prime quality and their delivery guys were excellent, happy to hand boards to me individually from the lorry when unloading (they delivered to my house with their own lorry).

I have also used Scawton sawmill for sweet chestnut, ash and oak. This was one order of 30 cu ft (10 of each species). It was delivered by Palletways and it was impressive how the driver managed to cajole his electric pallet truck to get the pallet off the lorry and onto my drive. The ash and chestnut were waney edge boards to yield from them hasn't been fantastic but I did get some excellent 10-15 inch wide boards approx. 2.5m in length from the pack. The oak was one down from prime and decent quality.

Both of these were in the last few years prior to covid etc. so prices were sensible. I don't know how their current prices compare but they are certainly good companies to deal with from my experience.

I got quite excited then... A timber supplier in Stafford :giggle:.
Then I looked at their web site: £1000 minimum order!

Looks like I will have to keep driving up to Potters in Nantwich for the small amounts I use.

Well ordered from Scawtons,good price about £45 a cubic foot,supposed to be delivered today but just called then because of no show and told it will be tomorrow now so lost a day.Hope it’s good stuff when it does arrive,I’ll keep you posted.

keep us posted when it comes. let us know whether its what you wanted the final price and a comparison with hymor if you wouldn't mind.

Received my order from Scawton Sawmills,excellent service,price and product.Machined a few planks up and it is lovely timber I will definitely be using them in the future.Price was £45 a cu ft about a quarter of what Hymor wanted,I’m sorry but won’t be bothering them again.

I bought 15cu ft of 1" Tulipwood (minimum 150mm wide)from Premier Goldberg recently (this was from their Middlesex branch, but I believe Premier have other branches). Worked out at £37 cu ft including VAT and delivery (their own transport).

Excellent me lord,these are proper prices.There is no need for profiteering and money grabbing prices if the timber yards keep their prices reasonable then makers will keep buying from them and in turn our customers will keep ordering,we need more people to keep telling each other where the good deals are to be had.Everyone has to make a living and the professionals and hobby people will benefit the craft by buying nice timbers to work with,everyone wins.

I used scawtons a while back for some oak for kitchen worktops. I told him what I wanted to achieve and he worked out what I'd need in waney edge. Delivery was £3O and I got enough to do 3 worktops totaling 8 metres and enough left over for solid window sills. The price was £34O. My local place Arbor timber wanted £35O to do 1 worktop.
They have been their for quite a while and two tops are above radiators and theirs been no movement

Back