Price shock

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinlightfoot

Established Member
Reaction score
Just had Arun over to Stoke to my favourite timber supplier,I go to sort out what timber I want and then bring it away,I wanted 10 lengths of joinery grade oak so not the dearest.10 lengths 2 m long of 200 x25 ,I almost dropped to the floor when the price was£570.That’s a real price hikeand Hymor Timber are a good company,I only hope it is good stuff when it arrives next Tuesday or it will be sent right back,be careful when you are pricing jobs.

Well Moss deserve to be shot!
The yard I go to is about £32 plus VAT per cubic foot. Ok it’s got the bark on it and you lose some for the sapwood but it’s prime Oak, that’s an outrageous price
Each plank 79 inches long by 8“ x 1“×10 planks is 6320 cubic inches divided by 1728 equals 3.7 ft.³ roughly so at my yard that would cost £117 plus VAT Which is £140 so something is far wrong. Ian

I pay a bit more than Cabinetman, but for that volume it would still be less than a third of £570.00.

Well Moss deserve to be shot!
The yard I go to is about £32 plus VAT per cubic foot. Ok it’s got the bark on it and you lose some for the sapwood but it’s prime Oak, that’s an outrageous price
Each plank 79 inches long by 8“ x 1“×10 planks is 6320 cubic inches divided by 1728 equals 3.7 ft.³ roughly so at my yard that would cost £117 plus VAT Which is £140 so something is far wrong. Ian
I know, I nearly choked when he told us.

The other carving students on the tour of Moss & Co. didn't blink though, so I didn't say anything.

I'm just curious because you have specified a length and width and I presume thicknessed are you paying for the waste and work to provide boards to your specification?

Pete

hymor are always at least 20% more expensive than other local yards. they have now been brought by lavers so factor in more increases. I also found them less than scrupulous to deal with tbh. they have far to many office types to pay for. try heaths 1 or 2 men sort everyone from sorting to payment and its a seriously busy yard.

Iirc these guys find you boards in stock that they know you can get the measurements you need out of, so if you want 25mm thickness, they maybe quoting thicker boards to finish at that thickness?

just as an example last week I had 50m of sapele. it was priced at £1539 cum plus vat. I reckon about a third to a quarter over priced. dreadful quality as well. 25mm boards and a quarter could not make 18mm planed.

I've had shocking prices at hymor that, when questioned, were "just a joke".

Haha, very funny I'm sure. I reviewed then in the woodyard thread. Shame because the guys on the yard are great.

Does seem a bit much, got some k/d prime Euro Oak at £48 a foot and I thought that was a lot.

Ollie

Last edited:
Just cancelled the order no problems but it’s sad to see a good old company go bad in this way,now got to find a good seller I’m going to try Scawton to see what they can do.Thanks for the help and I will let you know how I go on.

Just cancelled the order no problems but it’s sad to see a good old company go bad in this way,now got to find a good seller I’m going to try Scawton to see what they can do.Thanks for the help and I will let you know how I go on.

did you ask them to explain how they got to that figure? where they really asking for £155 a cube foot?

adidat

Yes I did ask but no proper answer,I did ask them to double check the amount but it came to the same amount I won’t bother with them again.Looking at Scawtons website I can buy 10 cu ft for £300 so I will give them a go.

I pay just over £50 cuft at British Hardwoods but it depends on what they quoted you for. 20 lm of 8 X 1 PAR at British Hardwoods works out at over £500 so not far off Hymor price if it was for PAR. Machining costs and wastage are high

Back