Price of the sheet materials

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diytoolbox

Established Member
Reaction score
I was looking at the price of sheet materials in local B&Q store, and Hardwood Plywood Board (L)2.44m (W)1.22m (T)18mm was
£42 per one sheet.

OSB 3 Board (L)2.44m (W)1.22m (T)18mm
is £ 49.97 per each sheet.

I need 5x of either of the sheets, and it makes the total around £210 or £250 (for the OSB). I feel this is far too much for the sheet materials. Have they gone up the price? Or is this nominal usual price for them?
Where else would be better price for the sheet materials?

The OSB is about the same price here, maybe a touch lower now that the covid shortages have eased. I'd be delighted to get hardwood plywood for that as it hasn't been that cheap in a very very long time.

Pete

If you are looking at B&Q for this they are having a 10% off everything online sale at the moment, so may make an order more palatable

Sean

Hardwood Plywood Board (L)2.44m (W)1.22m (T)18mm was
£42 per one sheet.

Pre-covid, my local B&Q was £32 per sheet. CLS 38mmx63mm was £2.50 per 2.4m length, it's now £5!

I joined the B&Q club and used to receive regular emails, offering discounts, e.g. £10 off spend of £30 or more, which made the boards much more affordable. Not had such a voucher in years. Queried that a number of times and they insisted they still made such offers but my preferences were set not to receive them!

Yes hideous prices due to the global situation. Paid £16 for a sheet of 18mm OSB in 2018, same supplier won’t even quote me as prices are so bad, told me ply is cheaper at the mo!

Thank you for your advice and info. Great.

I was also looking at Gumtree site for local private sales for the sheet materials, and there were a few with about 50% from the new price offerings.

Yes hideous prices due to the global situation. Paid £16 for a sheet of 18mm OSB in 2018, same supplier won’t even quote me as prices are so bad, told me ply is cheaper at the mo!

£ 16 per 18mm sheet would be great price I would say. Maybe money has been losing its value rapidly (due to too much printing?) :)

A chap I know works for a builder's merchant. I asked him when he thought to prices would really start to fall. He said a problem was that no one can afford to carry much stock as no one knows when the price will drop, but also that they had major suppliers who were guaranteeing they they would hold their (high) prices for several weeks so firms buying from them know they won't put in a large order one day then see the price fall the next.

Did some calculation on the amount of the sheets needed for restoring the old wooden shed 9x20. The whole floor and walls need covered, and the cost seems well over £1000.

Just dropped the plan, and thinking of getting a new metal shed 13x11 from eBay for around £700- £800.

The 18mm ply in B&Q may be £42 but it's very poor quality - not much use for anything that's built to any sort of quality/finish.

Did some calculation on the amount of the sheets needed for restoring the old wooden shed 9x20. The whole floor and walls need covered, and the cost seems well over £1000.

Just dropped the plan, and thinking of getting a new metal shed 13x11 from eBay for around £700- £800.
Just be warned the cheaper ones can be a real PITA to assemble. They are made of extremely thin material, and use folds and angles to give them stability, and take hours to assemble. When done you have a metal box that will just love condensation !! I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, but check the reviews very carefully !!

Just be warned the cheaper ones can be a real PITA to assemble. They are made of extremely thin material, and use folds and angles to give them stability, and take hours to assemble. When done you have a metal box that will just love condensation !! I'm not suggesting you shouldn't, but check the reviews very carefully !!

Beat me too it - go and look at what you're buying first . . . . DAHIKT

I’m after some Baltic Birch Ply in the Wakefield, West Yorkshire area - does anyone know of any suppliers of quality boards locallly - have checked MKm / Jewson’s and B&Q none of them have Birch, only the general hardwood ply. Thanks in advance.

I’m after some Baltic Birch Ply in the Wakefield, West Yorkshire area - does anyone know of any suppliers of quality boards locallly - have checked MKm / Jewson’s and B&Q none of them have Birch, only the general hardwood ply. Thanks in advance.
I use Hansons plywood in Halifax for birch plywood and veneered MDF, Friendly staff and good quality. I much prefer dealing with them than the likes of lawcris, Latham's and lavers

OSB (18mm) is £46.95 at my local yard. 19 odd quid prior to C19. Not great quality hard faced 18mm ply £42.95
I reacted in a rather vernacular manner to the member of staff behind the perpex and he replied that "if you say £46.95 really quickly it doesn't sound as bad..."
He may have a point....

Latest posts

Back