Price of the new Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smoothing Plane!!!!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Martingchapman

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice that the new Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smooth plane is now available (on the Brimarc site) but I am staggered by the price they are asking for it - £299.95!

This plane is of identical design to the Low Angle Jack plane and Low Angle Smoothing plane, but is physically smaller than both of them.
On the Brimarc site the Jack plane is £275.95 and the Smoothing plane is £255.00.

The Small Bevel-Up Smooth plane has all the same features as the larger (cheaper) planes so it must have exactly the same manufacturing costs, but it contains less metal, therefore logic dictates that it should be cheaper than its larger stalemates.
I fail to see how it can be £25.00 more expensive than the Jack Plane, which is almost twice the size of the Small Bevel-Up Smooth Plane.
I am very disappointed at the price they are asking for this plane, due to the reasons mentioned above I was expecting it to be a little cheaper than the Low Angle Smoothing plane.

I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Rant over!

Martingchapman":zauf4mfh said:
I would be interested to hear anyone else's thoughts.

Rant over!
Well, at least there'll be some change out of £300 :roll:
I'd suggest not buying it if you are not happy with the price. Some will though; it's a fan thing.

I've no doubt some will buy them at that price, but - from a professional standpoint - they're priced beyond being everyday user tools. Especially if an individual can't justify the price when weighed against the benefits of a certain tool's handiness or degree of use.

Martingchapman":wkvavvq3 said:
I notice that the new Veritas Small Bevel-Up Smooth plane is now available (on the Brimarc site) but I am staggered by the price they are asking for it - £299.95!

That must be a typo. LeeValley sell them vor 180$
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... at=51&ap=1

Edit: I found the same price at Axminster. Maybe they all don't get any retailer discount. :lol:

Cheers
Pedder

Probably due to UK pricing - they are $179 on the LV site?
Its bigger siblings are $219

Rod

If (and only if) the expected sales of the small BUS were very low, the cost per unit could be very high, since the fixed overhead costs(design, tooling, marketing etc) would be not be diluted down.

However, from the LV website, in dollars:

LAJ=219.00
BUS=219.00
Small BUS=179.00

So this looks like a UK/Brimarc thing.

BugBear

pedder":3cob6wzk said:
Martingchapman":3cob6wzk said:

That must be a typo. LeeValley sell them vor 180$
http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/page.a ... at=51&ap=1

Edit: I found the same price at Axminster. Maybe they all don't get any retailer discount. :lol:

Cheers
Pedder

$179 Canadian = £122 Even allowing for shipping, duty and VAT someone is making a nice profit!

Anyone have experience of purchasing directly from Lee Valley?

Following Rogers post, £122 plus vat is £146.40.
That leaves around £153 for shipping and other duties.
Even if the vat is added on last, after shipping and duties (which I bet is what our Revenue will do) it must still be cheaper.

Could it make sense to order directly from Lee Valley?

Martin.

Ordering from LV is the way to go.

Shipping will be about $50. So $230 in total. Say 1.55 exchange rate = £148. Your VAT bill is 20%, plus say £10 handling by FedEx or whoever delivers it. So worst case scenario is £187.

Cheers

Karl

Only one obvious drawback to ordering direct in my experience - do you really have the willpower to only order one thing from them...? ;)

Case for a group order from Lee Valley? Shipping should work out much cheaper per item.

Karl,
Thanks for the details regards shipping, very interesting, looks as if it could be the way to go.

Alf,
Very good point.
I hear it is a very, very slippery slope!

Martin.

Karl":1yyjpi45 said:
Ordering from LV is the way to go. Shipping will be about $50. So $230 in total. Say 1.55 exchange rate = £148. Your VAT bill is 20%, plus say £10 handling by FedEx or whoever delivers it. So worst case scenario is £187.

If you get it sent by "Surface Mail" you'll be very unlucky to get caught for vat. The only drawback is that it takes about 6-8 weeks, but I find the saving worthwhile.

Thanks,
Neil

Karl":igzdr0rp said:

Shipping will be about $50. So $230 in total. Say 1.55 exchange rate = £148. Your VAT bill is 20%, plus say £10 handling by FedEx or whoever delivers it. So worst case scenario is £187.

Cheers

Karl

Customs ?

BugBear

RogerP":mlzwpugd said:
Case for a group order from Lee Valley? Shipping should work out much cheaper per item.

I went halves with Brian (Modernist) on a pair of skew rebates - worked out cheaper for us both as we saved on p&p, only had one FedEx charge, and they were on offer as a pair as well.

Somebody should organise it. I'd be in.

Cheers

Karl

bugbear":i5ijmzf8 said:
Karl":i5ijmzf8 said:

Cheers

Karl

Customs ?

BugBear

Import duty? It's nominal - 1/2% IIRC.

I've just dropped a quick e-mail to LV asking them to confirm how much the shipping cost would be for multiple planes, and if they will do a discount on a group buy.

I'm probably going to order one direct, and don't mind organising multiples etc.

Cheers

Karl

Karl":39qgy4sf said:
bugbear":39qgy4sf said:
Customs ?BugBear
Import duty? It's nominal - 1/2% IIRC.

In Germany I'd to pay 2-3 % customs duty and 19% import VAT.

I feel, the dealer know that and make there prices just about the break even.
I importet my LAJack and paid totally 3 € less than I'd have had to pay in Germany.
So I would wait until the three German dealer fixed the price.
Usually takes a few weeks. The dovetail saw started at 65€ and now is 45€.

Cheers
Pedder

LuptonM":2fbybrzb said:
http://www.dutycalculator.com/
Thread reminds me of Mesa Boogie amps.

fanatastic link. It calculates for Imports to Germany, too.
I'm not aware of such a page in German.

Thanks a lot

Cheers
Pedder

Latest posts

Back