price fixing?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tombo

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been looking to buy a couple of router cutters, so i get the trend catalogue out. I have quite a few trend cutters anyway and the catalogue has loads of choice, and lists the price so its easy to know what i'm going to spend.

But once i thought about it i realised that these prices are a bad thing. I have always paid the catalogue price for trend products and there does not seem to be any incentive for the re-seller to offer a discount. I know i could buy cutters from another manufacturer but trend do seem to be the market leaders and the local dealers i go to only sell trend.

Anyone got any opinions? or managed to regularly buy trend products at a discount...just curious

Hi tombo,

There is somewhere which regularly has 20% off Trend cutters - I'm sure if Newbie_Neil sees this he'll remember where it was.

BUT - I would strongly recommend that you check out Wealden for router cutters instead (http://www.wealdentool.com) - they are excellent cutters, and I think you'll find the prices much better. They have an good catalogue with all the profiles, prices etc. or you can find things pretty easily on the website.

Cheers,
Neil

Tombo, don't have many Trend cutters but plenty of other Trend products and I've never paid sticker price for any of them. I'm pretty sure the markup on most of their products is somewhere in the region of 35% - 40%. Most local dealers that I frequent automatically drop the price by 18% - 20%. before "negotiations" begin. I've often seen Trend "promotions" where the vat element (17.5%) has been dropped and this represents a "special" offer. Not that special. If you're paying catalogue list + the vat I think you need to have a word with your dealer or shop elsewhere.

Noel

BUT - I would strongly recommend that you check out Wealden for router cutters instead (http://www.wealdentool.com) - they are excellent cutters, and I think you'll find the prices much better.

Thanks Neil, but the site is down at the mo, depressing the woodworking industry just does not seem to take the web seriously. Woodford have managed to change thier site but only to a message saying that they are still having problems

Tom

Tsk, usually Wealden's site has been rock solid. I can certainly confirm the good reports of them that you'll find in the archives. I placed my first order with them just last week (new cutters to go with the new router :oops: ) and it was promptly delivered the following morning in apple pie order, and significantly less than equivalent cutters I'd considered elsewhere. Definitely worth waiting for the site to come back online.

Cheers, Alf

I find Freud Pro and Titman are pretty good cutters too. I have seen these up to 50% off in local shops at various times

I actually prefer phoning Wealden as I have had extremely good advice from the folk there and if there is the slightest doubt in your mind, about what you need, they can save a lot of grief.

Noel,

I guess i need to shop around a bit more, but my point is that the dealer should be able to offer the product without the prejudice that the catalogue brings. You mention discounts from the catalogue price, but what should really happen is that the dealer should be able to offer at a price equal to its cost + a margin. If the list prices weren't printed there would be more competition. But i will shut up now and dream of non trend cutters :)

Tom

Hi Tombo

Neil":q0nhcgwc said:
There is somewhere which regularly has 20% off Trend cutters - I'm sure if Newbie_Neil sees this he'll remember where it was.

You can normally find Trend at a discount at the local merchants. On the web MTS used to give you 30%, but I've just checked and they don't seem to do it now. It might be worth a phone call. http://www.mtspowertools.co.uk/

I'd also try here http://www.toolshopdirect.co.uk/trend/p ... er+Cutters and check the prices.

Having said all of that, personally I'd go with Wealden. Excellent service, excellent product and good prices.

Cheers
Neil

Newbie_Neil":2ep6gtyk said:
Having said all of that, personally I'd go with Wealden. Excellent service, excellent product and good prices.
Cheers Neil

Me too - very nice products from Wealden - arrived next day as well.

Adam

Hi Tombo,

FYI, Wealden's site is back up & running now.

Cheers,
Neil

Latest posts

Back