Price Alert!

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Knight

Established Member
Reaction score
China has decoupled its currency from the dollar. This will push up Chinese prices for stuff we have come to enjoy cheaply. Don't wait for that Woodford or whatever!

...right, so that's a Chicken in Blackbean Sauce, Special Fried Rice, Prawn Crackers, two vegetable Spring Rolls and a Prawn Wonton to go.

Sorry, just getting my order in before prices go up. :D

Cheers, Alf

I'm not too worried,

China has billions of workers who will still need to produce so there should be overproduction and that should keep prices down :? :?

Saw a program recentl;y that explained China's sudden economic rise.

Seems that in Taiwan etc. what happened is that initially there was no work. Factories were built, jobs created and peanuts paid.
After a few years the workers thought "we should get more money, better conditions etc. We should have a union....." Before long they were no longer the cheapest around :roll:

Enter the nest far eastern country....

Well, in China it is differnet.

Peasants come from the fields to work for peanuts in the factories.
HOWEVER, these peanuts are a lot more than they earn as peasant farmers. They work 7 days a week, 12-hours a day for a few years and then rather than feeling agrieved and building unions, complaining etc., they return to the peasant villages as rich men.

There are a billion peants to replace them and China will rule for a long time to come when it comes to cheap goods and labour...

The fact of the matter is that most of the factories that we used to have are now in China where it is cheaper to produce than it is over here. I Guangdong province alone there are new factories going up every day! The British government has priced it's industries out of the market here so they now go abroad to places like China to produce. I am morried to a Chinese woman and our family still live there, plus a friend. He was offered a factory unit very cheaply to use if he would employ local labour! so it shows how much they are willing to produce. I am sure even now the Yuan has changed we will still get the cheap tools. Hong Kong is much more expensive than China and that is supposed to be a part of the mainland now! Still not surre how I will get a table saw back on my next trip though, ha ha. :D

There was only a 2% revaluation of the Yuan to the dollar, so prices aint gonna suddenly go sky high. Safe for a few years yet!!!

That is until china takes over the world...... :shock:

AndyC":3jv1badw said:
That is until china takes over the world...... :shock:

Longbridge is only the start. I'm waiting for the government to enter a PFI agreement with the Red Army to replace British troops out in Iraq.

Sorry if that sounds political. It isn't meant to.

Gill

Tony":2fhnj3te said:
They work 7 days a week, 12-hours a day

So half days then in the furniture making world!

mailee":2fhnj3te said:
Hong Kong is much more expensive than China and that is supposed to be a part of the mainland now!

Not technically until 2047. It is still a Special Administrative Region (SAR) until then.

Cheers

Tim

Back