Prevent Glue Syringe from clogging

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gogsi

Established Member
Reaction score
I have used a glue syringe on several occasions and really love how it can apply a tiny bead to wherever I need it.
However, unless very careful, the needle can easily get clogged with glue that has dried and it takes a lot of work to unclog it.
I've searched everywhere hoping to find a DIY solution for making a cap that would at least partially seal the needle and help prevent the leftover glue from hardening, to no avail.
I did find a set of 20 syringes with needles and caps which would be perfect but, I already have a syringe and, in these days of climate crisis it would be imprudent to buy so many pieces of plastic when three max would do.
Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

This sounds a great idea for injecting wallpaper adhesive onto bubbles on long dried wallpaper to get it to stick back to the wall
Any idea where I can some please
The local chemists looked at me as if either I was a drug addict or whatever as they didn't understand my purpose. Anyway refused to sell me a few.
As the glue in the original post was pva sounds daft but could you push the end into a potato as that's water based.

Its easy to clean out water based glues after use with warm water and dishwashing liquid. Let them soak a while then pump through a few times. With epoxy you just have to bin the syringe.
I got asked at the chemist one time what they were for and the lady was surprised when I said woodwork.
Regards
John.

I have used a glue syringe on several occasions and really love how it can apply a tiny bead to wherever I need it.
However, unless very careful, the needle can easily get clogged with glue that has dried and it takes a lot of work to unclog it.
I've searched everywhere hoping to find a DIY solution for making a cap that would at least partially seal the needle and help prevent the leftover glue from hardening, to no avail.
I did find a set of 20 syringes with needles and caps which would be perfect but, I already have a syringe and, in these days of climate crisis it would be imprudent to buy so many pieces of plastic when three max would do.
I use syringes for fish glue (slippery little sods to stick together 😀) and use an old steel guitar string that fits perfectly down the tube

This sounds a great idea for injecting wallpaper adhesive onto bubbles on long dried wallpaper to get it to stick back to the wall
Any idea where I can some please
The local chemists looked at me as if either I was a drug addict or whatever as they didn't understand my purpose. Anyway refused to sell me a few.
As the glue in the original post was pva sounds daft but could you push the end into a potato as that's water based.
Plenty available online from medical suppliers & very cheap. I bought packs of 50 needles, jusst throw away (in a yellow bin) when clogged.

You could try these Fineline Adhesive Applicators. I have found them to be quite good in the past.

Latest posts

Back