Pretty miffed at the (lack of) response

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had this happen many times in the past in various forums, and it is very frustrating. Sometimes it takes people a while to get back online and post an update, other times they disappear. I give the benefit of the doubt and give time ,but there is always going to be some free loaders. It has made me wary doing stuff like that going forward.

The worst case I had was many years ago I created an operating system for free that could be installed on a digital photo frame, meant you could use the digital photo frame as a full desktop - but with a small screen. I spent hundreds of hours working upon it for free. It was not perfect and required a lot of technical knowledge to use it well. This meant demand for the photo frame became very popular. I started getting loads of support queries, and it started eating up loads of my time, I was puzzled as the support queries started mounting up and people started complaining about me not giving them enough of my time. Eventually I found out that some horrible person had been SELLING it on ebay and made thousands of pounds, and the buyers had thought it was a product that they could get support from me. I was livid. The community was supportive and suggested I put up a donation page and I got a nice number of donations from core people which was motivating, but there was one donation for £2 which got my interest - I then realised that the person who donated me £2 had an email address with the same name as the seller on ebay who had made thousands of pounds free loading off my work. This killed my motivation entirely, I gave up and let the project die. I just didn't have it in me to be exploited like that any more.

Hi
Iwas over the moon at Dons generosity
and I mailed him to thank him.
I think it is time Don posted all my replies to him,the only crime I have committed is I didn’t acknowledge receipt of the item the same day I received it.
I think Don jumped the gun by posting his comments,to soon.
I had sent him numerous mails thanking him..
dingman 56

I am not an ungrateful person
I think Don jumped the gun with his post
I have sent numerous mails thanking Don for his generosity if he would kindly post them.
Im not as quick of the mark as some others with my email skills

dingman 56

Thanks for your mails dingman56. If I could get a Moderator to open my mailbox and post them here I would, can this be done ?? I have not received any mail from you except the 2 above this post and the mail on page 2.
Don W
EDIT Would you like to post the emails you sent to me on this forum

Last edited:
It's a shame this ended up as a thread when clearly there's been some miscommunication following a very generous gift from the OP. Hopefully it doesn't develop into an argument.

I've given away loads of things though mostly local and have always been thanked which is really important, I've also been extremely lucky to have been on the receiving end most notably years ago I was gifted a beautiful little watchmakers lathe, Cowells ME90 with loads of accessories virtually brand new and worth a lot of money all because I'd done the guy a few favours, I was gobsmacked and his only condition was that I used it and don't sell.
More recently an old, very good quality cycle in as new condition and an unused Audi bike rack that still sells for £500 so I try wherever possible to pass things forward.
There are some amazingly generous people out there alongside a minority of ars*****s.

Back