Pretty miffed at the (lack of) response

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yep , happened to me as well , Some years ago I was prepaired to donate a lathe , Had a chap say his daughter wanted one and was keen to learn , So They collected , My only request was to show some of the turnings she had made , Some days later the lathe ( That looked like the one I gave away ) was seen on a auction web site , My fault Thinking I was doing someone a good turn
Won't be doing that again

No photos of work ever turned up !
Something similar happened to me but not on here...Terrible but I can only assume they are in a desperate situation to stoop so low.... take comfort that you were in a better position, had better moral fibre, and bizarrely did help someone who needed it (even if IT wasn’t what they purported IT to be)

Several years ago on here, i had listed free to collect loads of Furniture and Cabinetmaker mags, and the member who had them, well we have been good friends ever since. And Greggs have done well out of the friendship as well ! So you never know how things turn out.

There are many generous people on this forum, there are also way more people around that take the 'p'. It is a fact of life,
I have to disagree

If you go by the TV and newspapers you will believe that's how the world is.
But my experience of going out and dealing with real people every day is exactly the opposite.

It seems there was a thanks sent in the end to the OP if slightly delayed.
Personally I have only ever found the people here to be very helpful and I try to be the same if any of my limited knowledge can help...but just in case if you have helped me and felt a simple thank you was needed and I was remiss in sending - I assure you it was not deliberate so Thank You to all who participate here!

So did I :ROFLMAO:.
I have been to the forum and thanked the OP for their response (posted a remarkable 1 minute after I posted here).
I will keep trying to help when I can and will read the posts of the OP before dashing in to help.
take care and stay safe
Don W

But my experience of going out and dealing with real people every day is exactly the opposite.

I have to battle this every day because my mum believes the Daily Fail.

I've been there too. Lent a rocking horse to a friend for her granddaughter. It had taken me months to refurbish from a rotten water soaked unloved and abandoned in the garden toy, back to a lovely toy that any little child would love...

IMG_1883.jpg

I then got a call nearly 2yrs later asking if i wanted it back. She knew i did as i said it was then going to a nieces daughter. Obviously very embarrassed it was returned very early in the morning (while still dark) no knock, no ring, nothing....
When i 'found' it later that day it was in a right state, almost like it had been deliberately thrown, dropped, or whatever. The rockers were coming adrift. It took me best part of 8hrs to re-glue and screw it it back together.

Take a sideways look at it.... not all of a nurses patients are 'nice' people and she might even think 'they deserved it' (for whatever reason they were there for treatment) but she'll do her job to the best of her ability and on to the next patient....

Stay safe people....

Nick

I have to disagree

+1 for that @artie
The number of good people I meet in everyday life far outstrip the baddun's.

+1 for that @artie
The number of good people I meet in everyday life far outstrip the baddun's.

There are so many really nice people out there, but if you meet 99 nice people in a day and one really rotten one, which will cause the biggest impact? It's always the bad ones which get the publicity. I think it can bias your view of the world.

I have given stuff and passed stuff on for the cost of the P&P (usually when it's multiple items, it adds up). I have also been given stuff by people who wouldn't even take the P&P for it. What goes around comes around? Quite possibly. I do find it annoying though when people can't even be bothered to drop me an email or message to say what you've sold or given has turned up, though.

I have been simmering for a couple of days now with this problem. A recent request in Scrolling- Scroll Saws > "Replacing tensioning rod for ferm 1007 scroll saw" made me think I could return some of the help I had been shown on this site over the years. I knew I had some pieces that various members had sent me over the years and I checked and there was indeed what was needed so I decided to send it to the OP. My fault, I contacted them and got address and postcode, went to the post office and got a proof of purchase and sent it off with a promise that it would be delivered in 3 days. I posted this information on the forum but since then nothing. No thanks, no nothing.
I should have checked the details of this OP, they had just joined that very day and were only looking for something for nothing. I won't make that mistake again.
Rant over, get back to what you should be doing. lol
take care and stay safe
Don W

Hi Don
I apologise for not acknowledging receipt of the item you sent me the same day I received it.I’m getting on a bit and don’t go on my iPad everyday.Im sorry if I offended you.or anyone else on the forum.
I didn’t join to receive freebies from members,I was genuinely looking for advice from fellow woodworkers having spent h.ours trying to source the part I needed,
I feel I have been found guilty without a trial by some members on the forum
However a lot of water has passed under my bridge so I won’t dwell on it
Merry Christmas
dingman56

Hi Don
I apologise for not acknowledging receipt of the item you sent me the same day I received it.I’m getting on a bit and don’t go on my iPad everyday.Im sorry if I offended you.or anyone else on the forum.
I didn’t join to receive freebies from members,I was genuinely looking for advice from fellow woodworkers having spent h.ours trying to source the part I needed,
I feel I have been found guilty without a trial by some members on the forum
However a lot of water has passed under my bridge so I won’t dwell on it
Merry Christmas
dingman56

Dingman56 - I think you might have unfortunately fallen foul of recent events regarding one or two new members whom have been quite rude and or impatient regarding the information they wanted, and treated the membership as though we should be poised waiting for any new member post on a given subject and provide EXACTLY the information the new members wants, in a full and comprehensive breakdown of easy to understand information, within minutes of said post appearing on the forum - which is quite literally what happened a week or two ago and the new member then had the temerity to berate the forum membership as a whole for not jumping to attention and giving he information he or she wanted in a timely fashion!

It seems some new members beleive we are little more than a helpdesk "here to serve" and occasionally treat us with as much disdain.

Some of us are also crotchety old gits (*smile*) and the whole covid lockdown stuff has worn down some members reserves of "play nice" more than others - I hope you will indeed stay - You'll be hard pressed to find a more knowledgeable group of people on most subjects of wood and metal related interests (as well as many others of a general nature); however just as an FYI - don't mention sharpening (of anything) without wearing some form of protective gear, and steer well clear of the Brexit / covid related thread in "Off Topic", unless verbal pugilism is your thing :)

I would like to add my positive story,
A gentleman online got in touch to pop over, he literally gave me everything he had in boxes, from briwax to French polish. Then gave me storage boxes if I could use them.
He was happy they were going to a good home and I use them all the time...

Really quite eye opening some of your experiences. Unbelievable not even to get a “thanks”. Says more about wider society than just the internet.

I have been simmering for a couple of days now with this problem. A recent request in Scrolling- Scroll Saws > "Replacing tensioning rod for ferm 1007 scroll saw" made me think I could return some of the help I had been shown on this site over the years. I knew I had some pieces that various members had sent me over the years and I checked and there was indeed what was needed so I decided to send it to the OP. My fault, I contacted them and got address and postcode, went to the post office and got a proof of purchase and sent it off with a promise that it would be delivered in 3 days. I posted this information on the forum but since then nothing. No thanks, no nothing.
I should have checked the details of this OP, they had just joined that very day and were only looking for something for nothing. I won't make that mistake again.
take care and stay safe
Don W
Don’t take it to heart. I’m a newbie on here and I’m very aware of how much experience you guys have and how much I can learn.. it’s a natural process of passing info (and equipment) down the generations, but you’re right - it must be done with respect. I will remember this post in future and be sure to show me gratitude. FWIW I’m already grateful just to know you’re all here. I don’t know anyone who is into woodworking, so I will be needing you!

take care and stay safe
Don W
I gave away a pretty decent scroll saw to a local who wanted it and didn’t have the money, in exchange he said he would come up and help for a 1/2 a day cleaning my workshop. Never heard another word from him even though he’s a local postie and delivers mail here in the area. What a tool.

Hi

That is one very ungrateful person, for someone to go right out of their way and send something via a post office in the Covid crissis I would be have been over the moon. The sad side is that a bad experience like this puts you off helping someone again and that person could be a genuine nice person and this is in my opinion the big issue with sites like Ebay, to many takers.

Back