Preston spokeshave book

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joe Stankus

Reaction score
After more than 10 years of research, I have published my treatise "Iron Spokeshaves and Related Tools Manufactured by Edward Preston & Sons". The treatise contain photographs of most of the 158 unique Preston spokeshaves (includes various types for certain models) that I identified in my research. .The treatise contains type studies, where possible and appropriate. The treatise provides the correct identification for several tools which are commonly mis-identified. The book is now listed on Amazon.

Best wishes,

Joe

Congratulations!

It's showing up as out of stock on UK Amazon. Any chance of a "look inside" preview?

I am currently working through the process to be able to do the "look inside" preview. I think Amazon's intention is to ensure that only the author or authorized agents provide the preview.

I have published the book through Ingram Spark, which is basically a "print on demand" self publishing service. As this is the first book that I have published, I am still learning the process. As such, I do not know how quickly Amazon will show it as in stock. I know that the last order I received directly from Ingram Spark took about 10 days from order to delivery.

Joe

I expect that the Amazon process to add the "look inside" preview will not be quick, so I am providing a preview for readers of this post. The photographs were taken with my mobile set to lower resolution so that they could be uploaded. The book contains all spokeshave related patents and registered designs, so I included an example patent page. I have included the entry for the Preston No. 77 spokeshave, as the complete entry is on a single page. I have also attached one of the pages from the 1390H entry. There are 9 types of 1390H. This page shows types 6 and 7. The later 1390H types are often mis-identified as jappanned versions of the 1391. According to Preston Catalogue No. 26, the 1390H started using the same casting as the 1391 in circa 1914. The Preston 1391 spokeshave was only available with a nickel plated finish. All of the spokeshave photographs are printed in colour. Preston spokeshaves were japanned, japanned with red cellulose embellishments, nickel plated, or painted with green cellulose. I felt that the photographs must be printed in colour in order to adequately see these details.

Cheers,

Joe

Joe
patent.jpg
preston_77.jpg
Preston_1390H.jpg

I might be interested myself too. Certainly I'd prefer to order in a way that gets the largest cut of the costs to Joe.

Good idea getting it direct from the source, as it were. However, most Amazon purchases of that cost-range in the UK would be post-free (about 3- 4 days, typically) unless you wanted quicker delivery, next day, say. So factor in time and postage from the States.

Joe, if you do post to the UK, may I suggest that you clearly mark it as a printed book - that way it is free of UK VAT tax and import duties. Books are zero-rated here. Otherwise we get stuffed with charges!

Joe, I see from the image of the back cover that "original Preston catalogues are not readily available".

That's certainly true.

This lot - a lovely 1914 catalogue, in good condition, with extra leaflets and letters, fetched an eyebrow-raising £759 on eBay recently!

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/254731457621
There's clearly a demand among collectors for Preston tools, boosted by the Rees' reprint of the 1909 catalogue.

I have no doubt that your book will push interest and prices up even further.

I do have several hardcover copies that I could post, but the P&P would be expensive.... I would guess approximately £ 20.
If posted from USA, I could sign the book and add an inscription of your choice.

I was reading the Ingram Spark site last night to determine when Amazon would have the book in stock. I did not find an answer to that, but I did find a bit that said I could order a book and have it directly sent to the purchaser. Additionally, I believe that the book would be printed in the country where the book was being delivered. It took approximately 10 days from order to delivery when I last ordered books. I have not attempted to have the books sent directly, so I would like to ensure that I understand the process and that it works as expected. My thought is that if books can be sent directly from a UK based printing location, I would be happy to match Amazon's free-post.

As part of my research, I have determined that the 1914 catalogue (no. 26) was the last full line catalogue issued until catalogue no. 43, which was issued in October 1932. I do possess copies of catalogues No. 6 (1901), No. 18 (1909), No. 26 (1914), No. 26R (small format version of No. 26 with inserted pages), and No. 43 (1932). Additionally, I have copies of the spokeshave sections of No. 4 (1891), No. 5 (1895), and a single page from an 1886 Australian catalogue that appears to have been a page copied from a Preston catalogue. Acquiring these catalogues was indeed a very expensive undertaking. For my next project, I am considering reprinting the No. 26 catalogue. The original No. 26 is printed in colour, whilst the No.26R is printed in black and white.

Cheers,

Joe

I have explored the Ingram Spark site and have found that the book can be printed in the following locations:

USA
UK - in Pounds Sterling
UK - in Euros
Australia

I assume that for the UK printing location, I would select Pounds Sterling or Euros determined by where the book is being sent. It appears that the book can be sent to any delivery address. If there is international shipping, additional charges may apply.

Another interesting thing I found is that when I order, I can have the book personalized. It appears that this will add an additional page at the beginning of the book with a message that is determined when the book is ordered.

Cheers,

Joe

Latest posts

Back