Preston shaves?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahking51

Established Member
Reaction score
This is this weeks car boot haul, any info would be welcome.
preston02.jpg

preston03.jpg

preston01.jpg

Both have the original Preston irons, not sure whether the screw is original on one.
Regards
martin

Sorry can't offer any advise, but looks like you have made a good buy. Can i ask how much you got them for?

Matt.

Someone else that attends a higher class of boot sales than I have ever come across!

The straight handled shave is just like one I paid a dealer £30 for! (If it has a nice curved sole)

(Bootsales round here sell stuff I would be ashamed to be seen putting in my dustbin!)

So Dorset then, nice place to live is it? Much more expensive than Cornwall? Any tips on good Estate Agents to try? ](*,) :cry:

Thank heavens I got my Preston shave for nothing or I'd be really upset. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Waka":3485xyir said:
Alf":3485xyir said:
Thank heavens I got my Preston shave for nothing or I'd be really upset. :roll:

Cheers, Alf

Was that the same pace you got the 55?
Ho ho... :roll: I do not own a #55. I have never owned a #55. I have seen one once, but the necessary lettuce was absent at the time. I don't want to talk about it. :cry: A space is waiting for when #55 should appear in my vicinity while the lettice harvest is good, but I don't hold out much hope. I may be doomed to be #55-less for the rest of my days. I try not to think about it.

Sobbing quietly in a corner, #55-less Alf

Gott in himmel, Dave. Are you trying to kill me with dehydration brought on by excessive drooling?! :shock: The chest of drawers for the irons is a gem, isn't it? Too bad the seller doesn't know which way the fences go... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":9ds7s3fw said:
The chest of drawers for the irons is a gem, isn't it?
Alf do you know if that box with the chest is as supplied or was it made by one of the owners? It is a very nice way of storing the irons.

Alf":9ds7s3fw said:
Too bad the seller doesn't know which way the fences go... :roll: :lol:
I had to look twice at that the first time I saw it, I have been watching this from when the bids were at < £50 :roll:

DaveL":3bzh3g7q said:
Alf":3bzh3g7q said:
The chest of drawers for the irons is a gem, isn't it?
Alf do you know if that box with the chest is as supplied or was it made by one of the owners? It is a very nice way of storing the irons.
Owner-made I believe. And yes, it is rather a nice solution, isn't it?

Cheers, Alf

Here are two more boxes for 55s. The larger is for a Stanley. The smaller is for a Sargent version of the 55.

Apologies for the poor pictures--they aren't mine. But I was keeping them for examples for making my own replacement box...

sargent_55.jpeg

55cbox1.jpg

That method of storing the cutters in the Stanley one is a recipe for Elastoplast sales I reckon. The Lewin does something similar, and I've lost count of the number of times I've been bitten by them, FWIW. But I like the fact you can store the plane assembled; again something in common with the Lewin. I came very close to pulling the trigger on a Sargent once, but I couldn't bring myself to go for the pierced metal fence handles over the Stanley's rosewood. And I claim to be a user... :roll: :oops:

Cheers, Alf

Back