• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Preston 1355 bullnose plane

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

parvum

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello all I stumbled across a nice Preston 1355, but, although in good overall condition, even a good length of original Preston iron it is black all over! even after a gentle bubble bath Almost like phosphate parkerising except where the sides have rubbed in the course of use. As I understand it these planes were made in the early 1900s and finished with Nickel plate, was there a war finish like the record planes? steel in the white, as Nickel was in short supply and needed for war works. This plane will be a user but as it will outlast me I do do not want to spoil what may be its original finish. Any ideas please
Thanks Paul

Pete Maddex

Established Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with some second hand tools, I think Cillit bang and a brass brush sorted it out.
One was a Preston side rebate plane.

Pete

ED65

Established Member
Reaction score
The plane could be old enough for nickel plating to have worn or flaked completely off, you see this sometimes even on something the size of a brace. Or as you say it could have been sold in the white. Regardless, some will see the current colour as a nice patina, others as rust and want to remove it.

If you want to brighten up your plane any of the standard restoration pathways will do it.