Pressure washer recommendation request

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
My Karcher 232 has sprung a leak and so I need to get a new one.

It wasn't used that much nor did it freeze so just a case of "Vorsprung Durch Technik - ich denke nicht". Since the Karcher would appear to be a 'throw-away' item (ie I cannot get it repaired) on principle I do not want to buy one of theirs again.

So any recommendations as to other makes? Use will be annual cleaning of stone slabs and the occasional car wash.

Hello Roger

I don't know what is available to you, but I bought a Delta DTH2450 power washer last spring and used it a lot last summer. It worked well and I am plesed with it. It has a 5.5 HP Honda moter and starts good. It has 2450 PSI. My cost was $300 US. I would recomment it if it is sold near you. I used it to wash boat, 5th wheel RV, Sidewalks and patio.

The only time it didn't start good was when I failed to turn the on switch on :oops:

This is my first power washer and so I don't have anything thing to compare to.
Good luck finding the right one for you. :D

Travis

Roger Sinden":2vfxy5sw said:
My Karcher 232 has sprung a leak and so I need to get a new one.

It wasn't used that much nor did it freeze so just a case of "Vorsprung Durch Technik - ich denke nicht". Since the Karcher would appear to be a 'throw-away' item (ie I cannot get it repaired) on principle I do not want to buy one of theirs again.

So any recommendations as to other makes? Use will be annual cleaning of stone slabs and the occasional car wash.

If you are handy you could try taking it to bits and trying a repair yourslef?

Adam

I had an Alto (made by KEW) machine up until it recently froze :cry:

I really liked it but I don't know what the spares or repairability is like (the whole pump casing cracked on mine in -10 deg).

Unfortunatrely Karcher or really cheap unheard of names seem to be all that are available over here now so I have a Karcher 4.98 but I suspect my old Alto might have been more robust.

We use Kew washers at work and they get no TLC at all but seem to soldier on for years

It sounds as though Travis has one heck of a unit! Meanwhile back in the real world of the UK(??) I have a Bosch unit bought a few years ago that has proven reliable. It cleans up my patio and the garden furniture every year.

Travis Byrne wrote:
It has 2450 PSI
That's 175 bar :shock: :shock: - could do some damage with that. Roger, FWIW I've had a 115 bar Karcher now for about 8 years and use it for much the same as you - no problems so far - Rob

Hi Roger

I have an Alto and i am very pleased with it

To answer your question about pressure IMHO the water flow rate is much more important and gives you better/faster cleaning

Hope this helps

Regards

Andy

I've got a £60 Champion jobby that I got in Focus - had it for about 4 years and it'll take the creosote out of the fence posts if I muck about with it, so it's quite powerful enough to do whatever you want with it. I'm not sure how necessary it is to spend £300 on a Karcher (or similar) one that will probably last the same amount of time or less, at £60 this one has already paid for itself and is pretty much a disposable item.

V.

Rog,

For just occasional use as you describe, why not get a cheapo for £40 or so?. IMO they're likely as reliable and efficient as the cheaper Karchers anyway. The cheaper models of branded (Alto, karcher) washers aren't worth all the extra dosh - you're just paying for the name.

Ike

Roger, if you want a good one just make sure the internal plumbing is all brass rather than plastic.

I have a cheapo one from B&Q and it works really well on my patio. I tend to view this sort of stuff as disposable as it's always a lot of hassle getting parts and service, even for the expensive makes. So I tend to buy the cheap ones and throw them away when they stop working.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Roger
I got a cheap Focus Champion one a while back. It died within 30 mins of use! I took it back and swapped it for a more powerful Champion washer and have had that for 4 years with no probs - albeit with limited use!
I would get a cheapo one again though - but it depends how much you are going to use it - personally I see it as a very occasional use item.
Cheers
Gidon

Back