Pressure release valve for dust deputy

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mark18PLL

Established Member
Reaction score
I have just purchased a dust deputy and 60l plastic blue drum to attach to my vacuum, the problem is as you probably guessed it that once I turn the vac up it collapses if the suction is blocked.

I have seen a number of posts regarding making your own release valve and that's fine if you have the bits lying around, unfortunately I don't and it would need me driving around picking bits up, the magnets alone are £10.

Is there anything I can just purchase that will do the job to keep this simple?

Cheers
Mark

I use a 35-gallon plastic trash can on my 3HP dust collection system. After two collapsed episodes, which resulted in lots of dust going into my filters, I used some handy 19mm plywood offcuts to build a cross brace for the inside of the can. The brace fits about mid-way down the can, where it collapsed, and easily keeps the can round. I haven't had a problem since.

Assuming you have blast gates on each machine, all you have to do is open one of the other gates sufficiently to stop the can collapsing. Not a permanent solution, but good enough untill you get the bits needed for a pressure valve.

If you use a smaller blue bin, this doesn't happen (unless you sit the bin in the hot air outflow from the vacuum where the warmth softens it). The smaller bins seem a little more rigid relative to the wall area the suction has to work on.
I'd go with the idea of bracing the bin. You could make two half rings of something, or rip a wooden lath thin enough to bend, post it through the mouth of the drum and stick it to the inside with holtmelt to form a inner ring or belt, even screw through the wall of the bin...

Having looked at various solutions for preventing drop box/bin collapse and having a bin which is now held together with gaffa tape I came up with this arrangement using odds and sods lying around. A flexible nitrile washer thingy from a ‘Torbeck’ cistern valve, a length of stainless wire, an inch of copper wire and a few screws and washers. I’d already reinforced the top of the bin with OSB to provide a secure base for the cyclone.

I heated one end of the wire to bend an eye on it in order to secure it with a screw and washer. Next a slight bend to create tension on the other end. I made a tiny hole in the centre of the nitrile washer and bent a short length of copper wire into a eye to secure it to the stainless wire and put a bend on the other end to prevent it pulling through the washer. Silicone to keep it all in place.

I was able to adjust the pressure on the nitrile washer by moving the tensioning screw closer to it (photo 3). I still get a tiny amount of flexing in my dust bin but it and the gaffa tape are doing well. Hope it all makes sense. I almost forgot the 20mm hole in the lid.

Attachments

• EF32C886-97F7-4233-B8DA-ADBE84EB03EA.jpeg
    EF32C886-97F7-4233-B8DA-ADBE84EB03EA.jpeg
    212.6 KB · Views: 21
  • F332BBDA-5D0C-47D3-BDF4-3E81BBDF52B5.jpeg
    F332BBDA-5D0C-47D3-BDF4-3E81BBDF52B5.jpeg
    76.1 KB · Views: 21
  • 618A5B80-5C8F-4D6E-AEBD-B9B3F8CE419B.jpeg
    618A5B80-5C8F-4D6E-AEBD-B9B3F8CE419B.jpeg
    96 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:
All it requires is a bolt, washer, spring & blanking plate underneath, with a strip across the top of the hole for the bolt to go through & a nut to secure it. Makes it easy & adjustable to suit the amount of suction created by the system.

You could skip the drum altogether and make your own variation of the Dust Deputy Bagger. My next project. https://www.leevalley.com/en-ca/sho...actors/111155-dust-deputy-bagger?item=03J0215 You just need a good 20 litre pail and heavy duty 3 mil plastic contractor trash bags. You need to remember to periodically turn it off to let the dust drop into the bag. Once full, tie it off and haul it away. No fuss dumping the 60L drum and no dust in the air when you do because it is already in the bag. Making a bracket out of plywood either for the wall or on a cart isn't rocket science. The lid from the bucket can have holes made with a hole saw or cut with a jigsaw to put on the bottom to keep the bag where it belongs.

Pete

How strong would your extractor be before you would risk collapsing a cyclone.
I made my latest one with a plastic bucket, and when it partially collapsed, I got a stronger bucket. But then my Lidl vac is probably underpowered compared to some.

Back