Pressure cooker

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garno

Grumpy Old Git
Reaction score
I got Mrs Garno an electric pressure cooker today.

https://www.wilko.com/en-uk/wilko-press ... /p/0468514

She has said she will never use it so it looks like I will be doing the cooking from now on.
They seem to of come on leaps and bounds from the good old days when it hissed out the steam and had a weighted valve on top of the lid. She once allowed one to "run dry" and whilst it did not explode as such there was an almighty bang and the whole of the bottom of the pan had bowed out. I think we were lucky it could of been a lot worse, the fish and chip shop was still open.
Has anyone any experience with these new fangled electric ones?
Thinking of doing a nice beef stew over the next day or so apparently only takes 30 minutes. :shock:

So, there is a massive cult around these types of cookers, called Instant Pots. They are Amazon US's biggest selling item on prime day (according to some).

My wife has one. And they are brilliant. Yes, you can cook pretty much anything in 30 mins.

But it takes time to get used to how out works. E.g. you need enough space and liquid in the pot for it to pressurise and cook. Cooking times are short, but only after it reaches pressure and temp (might be 10-15 mins).

So, success on day 1 is unlikely but persevere, it can work brilliantly!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Just Google things like 'instant pot recipes' and 'instant pot tips' etc to find useful info online.

It really is like a cult for some people..

John Brown":k8ci7unb said:
Might look olf fashioned, but I believe the weighted pressure release valve is still the safest.

Scares the life out of me with the hissing,

Also we have all heard that someone knows somebody who's great auntie had one explode and the weight shot through the ceiling ending up in the bedroom. I'm about 90% sure that has never happened but there is a part of me that thinks it is plausable

sammy.se":24xrxy2d said:
Just Google things like 'instant pot recipes' and 'instant pot tips' etc to find useful info online.

I thought "instant pot" was a brand name ........... I feel a little stupid now :oops: :oops: :oops:

Can they cook Scouse though Sammy on a midweek evening before settling down with a buttered slice of proper white bread or two to watch Juliet Bravo. The onions adding piquancy the lamb fat a surface of bubbling effervescent oil fat comfort? My mum eventually bought a new pot roast and I nabbed the old steamer off her. Bargain.
I cook my kids scouse in it now. Juliet Bravo didn't make it out of the 80's alas. Mind you neither did Ford Mark 1's, an actual real tragedy. Scouse did though! Bloomin' Vikings.

Bm101":s1uq35fc said:
Can they cook Scouse though Sammy on a midweek evening before settling down with a buttered slice of proper white bread or two to watch Juliet Bravo. The onions adding piquancy the lamb fat a surface of bubbling effervescent oil fat comfort? My mum eventually bought a new pot roast and I nabbed the old steamer off her. Bargain.
I cook my kids scouse in it now. Juliet Bravo didn't make it out of the 80's alas. Mind you neither did Ford Mark 1's, an actual real tragedy. Scouse did though! Bloomin' Vikings.

It is a gift to be able to make a good scouse. Many have tried, few succeed :D

Fair enough.
My father, who got to play with big steam engines in WW2, always told me that dead weights were safer than springs, as springs get "stronger " as they compress. And the fact that the weight sits on a conical needle valve means the stories of weights going through the ceiling are almost certainly apocryphal.
Let's see some references...

Garno":3tsauxas said:
sammy.se":3tsauxas said:

I thought "instant pot" was a brand name ........... I feel a little stupid now :oops: :oops: :oops:
Yep, it is. The Wilko's one you linked to is an 'instant pot' clone.

Lots of instant pot clones are around now.
It's like track saws :)

Hmm, I'm intrigued by 'scouse' now... Off to do some googling.

sammy.se":b1wt816n said:

No need to google it,

A bowl of scouse = a bowl of the tastiest stew known to man. (in my opinion of course) :D

My Mrs said she wanted one as it would be very useful having seen it advertised on one of the TV channels several times (pressure king pro)

We had one meal, that was fine (stew of some sort but it was nice)

Then she tried a whole chicken, it was not cooked after the allotted time

She said that was it and she wouldn't use it again as she didn't trust it , so I thought I would be stuck with it

But had a word with Amazon and they said return it for a full refund

Garno":3k1ui1r3 said:
sammy.se":3k1ui1r3 said:

No need to google it,

A bowl of scouse = a bowl of the tastiest stew known to man. (in my opinion of course) :D
Well actually, there is though isn't there though. (sorry....)
In what might be the greatest nod to stew anywhere in history, there is excellent etymological evidence to suggest that scousers are named scousers after scouse. :D Whodathunk it?

"The word "scouse" is a shortened form of "lobscouse", whose origin is uncertain.[15] It is related to the Norwegian lapskaus, Swedish lapskojs and Danish labskovs and the Low German Labskaus, and refers to a stew commonly eaten by sailors. In the 19th century, poorer people in Liverpool, Birkenhead, Bootle and Wallasey commonly ate "scouse" as it was a cheap dish, and familiar to the families of seafarers. Outsiders tended to call these people "scousers".
(Wikipedia)
Scouser literally means eater of stew but based on bloomin' vikings as I said (almost). A meal mixed historically with the seafaring and economic background of a fascinating city. To this day variations occur including the legendary Blind Scouse, which is just stew with no meat.
Sometimes you literally couldn't make it up.

whatknot":3fet9lma said:
My Mrs said she wanted one as it would be very useful having seen it advertised on one of the TV channels several times (pressure king pro)

We had one meal, that was fine (stew of some sort but it was nice)

Then she tried a whole chicken, it was not cooked after the allotted time

She said that was it and she wouldn't use it again as she didn't trust it , so I thought I would be stuck with it

But had a word with Amazon and they said return it for a full refund
It does need practice. E.g. cooking a whole chicken requires some liquid (water or stock) to be present. Plus, times do vary according to weight as well.

I'd say it took us a couple months to fully understand how to use it, but now it's as easy as anything. Lots of online resources to trouble shoot.

Bm101":jt0rg4bb said:
Garno":jt0rg4bb said:
sammy.se":jt0rg4bb said:

No need to google it,

Well actually, there is though isn't there though. (sorry....)
In what might be the greatest nod to stew anywhere in history, there is excellent etymological evidence to suggest that scousers are named scousers after scouse. :D Whodathunk it?

"The word "scouse" is a shortened form of "lobscouse", whose origin is uncertain.[15] It is related to the Norwegian lapskaus, Swedish lapskojs and Danish labskovs and the Low German Labskaus, and refers to a stew commonly eaten by sailors. In the 19th century, poorer people in Liverpool, Birkenhead, Bootle and Wallasey commonly ate "scouse" as it was a cheap dish, and familiar to the families of seafarers. Outsiders tended to call these people "scousers".
(Wikipedia)
Scouser literally means eater of stew but based on bloomin' vikings as I said (almost). A meal mixed historically with the seafaring and economic background of a fascinating city. To this day variations occur including the legendary Blind Scouse, which is just stew with no meat.
Sometimes you literally couldn't make it up.

Well I never knew that it originated from seafarers.

As for "Blind Scouse" surely thats just a vegetable broth, again I had never heard of a vegetarian scouse.

Thank you for the info, glad you googled it now

Garno

Thanks but she followed the recipe to the letter and it was still not cooked, so she lost all faith in it

So back it went, I cannot say I am sorry , perhaps if we had a family at home we might feel different

We will stick to the slow cooker ;-)

Well just cooked my first ever meal in an electric pressure cooker :D

Made a good old chille con carne :D

Pressure cooker did exactly what it should do :D

Followed my normal recipe :D

So why oh why did it turn out like dirty washing up water with a taste to match :( :( :(

Garno":13xctyhx said:
Well just cooked my first ever meal in an electric pressure cooker :D

Made a good old chille con carne :D

Pressure cooker did exactly what it should do :D

Followed my normal recipe :D

So why oh why did it turn out like dirty washing up water with a taste to match :( :( :(
Hiya

It's because you followed your normal recipe.
In one of these pots, the moisture doesn't evaporate, it all stays in. So you need to use much less liquid (I think the ratio is use one quarter of the liquid you normally use).

If you use too much liquid, it comes out watery and diluted and doesn't taste good.

Good experience though - stick with it.

I am most definitely going to stick with it no matter how thin I end up :D

Back