Preservative treatment for new shed

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonm

Established Member
Reaction score
I am helping my daughter and son in law with their new shed. It is reasonable quality, 16ft by 10 ft. 12mm T&G walls, 16mm T&G flooring.

The shed will be raised above the ground to get an airflow underneath. It will also be fitted with gutters and downspouts.

The shed comes with limited protection, just treated with an “anti-fungicide wood protection primer”. I want to get it properly protected before it is erected. Finish to be the natural wood colour so basically clear preservative. Also the shed is close to fences and walls on three sides, whilst maintenance is possible the space is limited so the longer the protection lasts the better.

The shed will be used mostly for storage, bit of a bench and a few tools. Definitely not a workshop.

My initial thoughts are to use a water based preservative. something like clear Cuprinol and ladle on two coats with a big brush, and more at the joints. However I have read about then applying a “sealer” coat to seal the preservative in.

So I am looking for some advice as follows

1. What preservative to use, how many coats. Water or solvent based etc. Also any info about “sealer”.
  2. How to apply it, brush, pump pressure sprayer, electric sprayer. I have a compressor with cheap spray gun.
  3. The floor. Rubber interlocking matts are too expensive. Watered down pva to seal it is a possibility. I have some floor varnish which is another option. Any thoughts on this. Also if the floor is treated with preservative there will be little time to dry before any finish goes on.
Any comments or observations would be appreciated.

Why not paint it a nice color, the Valspar garden paint is actually very good and comes in a good range of colors, it is actually better than some of the Dulux paint which I suppose is not really that hard. I painted an arbour about five years ago and it is still bright and colorfull.

Last edited:
Why not paint it a nice color, the Valspar garden paint is actually very good and comes in a good range of colors, it is actually better than some of the Dulux paint which I suppose is not really that hards. I painted an arbour about five years ago and it is still bright and colorfull.

Ditto - our shed at the allotment was painted black when we put it up, using Cuprinol Garden Shades Black Ash - 2 coats . . . the shed at the house had gone to a patchy, dull, dark brown over time - that too has had a couple of coats of the same black. Both look pretty good - have to say I don't like a lot of the Garden Shades light colours, the dark grey looks OK.

... and an afterthought - when you assemble the shed use screws, not nails - it'll hold together better and be possible to take apart if you wanted to move it. AND if it's a basic manufactured shed then apply a second layer of roofing felt (laid in the opposite direction)

I use water based preserver from screwfix.£22 5l. shake it then apply . if you spray wear a mask as it's not good to breathe. the seal it in otherwise it leaches out. garden paint is good for this. solvent based is best but water based Is good to. bedec barn paint is my fave( from toolstation)

Thank you for all the helpful advice. I purchased some everbuild triple action preservative, about £20 for a 5 litre tin, including postage (purchased in batches of four tins). Purchased this because it is supposedly good and was cheap. When the shed is erected I will put a finishing coat on, probably the barrettines, as recommended.

Useful to get the opinions of other people on this site, there is so much expertise and knowledge available.

Latest posts

Back