Preparing fence panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ObservantGround28

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm putting up a fence and the panels are pressure treated.

They're still pretty wet (about 20-25%) and I'm wondering what I can apply to them once dry enough to ensure they last as long as possible with the least amount of maintenance. I was going to paint/spray them with Cuprinol Ducksback, but is there something that I should also do prior to doing that?

Thanks

I think the main thing with fence panels is to ensure the bottom of them is above the ground by installing a kicker board. Then make sure your neighbour does not pile earth or anything else against it. If you are using timber posts, put a couple of inches of gravel in the bottom to rest the post on then concrete around the sides so the hole can drain. If you put good strong concrete in the base and up the sides it can create a “pool”, the wood is permanently wet and rots out.

i used this stuff
https://www.toolstation.com/wood-protective-treatment-5l/p41022
on my shed, pergola and fence panels. it leaves the wood feeling like a barbour jacket ie slightly waxy and water just beads off. other colours are available its just that TS dont stock all of them. I used light brown and dark brown mixed as I felt the light was too light and the dark too dark.........
I also tried to avoid anything water based as some I have known in the past just washes off in the rain( not really ideal....)

I wouldn't underestimate how wet they will be when they arrive, but they do dry fairly quickly. I would leave them bare for a few months before painting.

I second about keeping the bottoms clear of soil.

I’ve always avoided the water-based products such as Duck’s Back. Where I’ve seen them used, they don’t seem particularly durable, and they look shabby as they age. I’d second flying haggis’s recommendation and use the Barrettine Timber Protector. You can apply it with a garden pump sprayer - I buy a £10 one from Amazon or wherever just for the job - which gets into all the nooks and crannies much more easily than a brush. We put up a fence 8 years ago, treated it then, and just needed to re-treat it earlier this year.

Don’t underestimate the amount you’ll need - the timber just drinks the stuff!

Thanks all!

I'm using Durapost powder coated steel posts and composite gravel boards.

I'll definitely take another look at the treatment.

We use Cuprinol ducks back stuff as we do like that water beading off effect you get but it doesn’t last particularly long. Depending on what direction they face and their level of exposure to the elements, ours still start fading and attracting moss. Tempted to switch to the cheap and cheerful stuff my mum uses from wilko’s as her fence seems to last 2-3 years without looking too shabby and is much cheaper.

I’ve always avoided the water-based products such as Duck’s Back. Where I’ve seen them used, they don’t seem particularly durable, and they look shabby as they age. I’d second flying haggis’s recommendation and use the Barrettine Timber Protector. You can apply it with a garden pump sprayer - I buy a £10 one from Amazon or wherever just for the job - which gets into all the nooks and crannies much more easily than a brush. We put up a fence 8 years ago, treated it then, and just needed to re-treat it earlier this year.

Don’t underestimate the amount you’ll need - the timber just drinks the stuff!
and dont spray on a windy day as the fine drops go everywhere

We use Cuprinol ducks back stuff as we do like that water beading off effect you get but it doesn’t last particularly long. Depending on what direction they face and their level of exposure to the elements, ours still start fading and attracting moss. Tempted to switch to the cheap and cheerful stuff my mum uses from wilko’s as her fence seems to last 2-3 years without looking too shabby and is much cheaper.
Agree about ducks back, there doesn't seem to be any depth of cover. When the window cleaner ran their hose over the gate once it was down to bare wood. Only positive is it's easy to touch up - but I'd rather not have to! Is your mum's Wilko own brand?

Agree about ducks back, there doesn't seem to be any depth of cover. When the window cleaner ran their hose over the gate once it was down to bare wood. Only positive is it's easy to touch up - but I'd rather not have to! Is your mum's Wilko own brand?
yup

Thanks all!

I'm using Durapost powder coated steel posts and composite gravel boards.

I'll definitely take another look at the treatment.
A quality job then, perhaps you could post some pictures when it is erected, I would find it interesting, not a system I am familiar with.

Back