Precision router joinery jig

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

I built this jig in order to be able to rout precisely sized and precisely located mortises. It can also be used to rout tenons and mortises in end-grain for floating tenons, as well as to drill accuraly located dowel holes. Members who would like details of how to build the jig can email me for a free copy of an article that I had published on the jig in the Australian Woodworker. The jig features a micro-adjustable fence, and stops that can be set to accurately define the length of the mortice. It can be calibrated so that the distance of the morice from the face of the workpiece can be directly read from a dial gauge.

Top view of the jig:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143 ... 7266hbKwnD

A workpiece clamped to the jig for morticing:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143 ... 7980ftkOTy

A workpiece clamped to the jig for tenoning:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143 ... 8332mTgXUm

rockerau

Hmm; the jig hasn't provoked much interest - just one request for the article and no replies to this thread. Am I to assume that the poms all own chisel morticers, slot morticers, Trend or Leigh mortice-and-tenon jigs, or JDS Multirouters? Or do they cut mortices with mallet and firmer chisel? I have found my jig has saved countless hours of work and is invaluable if you have projects like a set of dining chairs, which require a lot of M&T joints. I am happy to send anyone who wants one a free copy of my article on how to build the jig. So put cursor to screen and msg me for one :D

Rockerau

Hi Rocker

I've got the Trend jig, but when I grow up I'll buy the Leigh. :roll:

I've really loved your jigs. Thank you for sharing them with us.

Cheers
Neil

Rocker
I think it is the gauge (dial) which is the problem, this sort of equipment is very expensive in the u.k.

I recall your suggestion when we met that the instrument could be substituted using a combination square or a vernier tool.

Not quite so accurate, grant you, but polyfiller is still cheap here!!!

rockerau":3eduy1jp said:
Hmm; the jig hasn't provoked much interest - just one request for the article and no replies to this thread.

It may be because your photography isn't up to the standard of your woodwork. Perhaps if you could get some daylight onto your subject it would help. It won't be so obvious to you as you are already intimately familiar with your equipment, but it is difficult for somebody who isn't to work out exactly what they are looking at. Are you any good at drawing? Perhaps a line diagram would be the solution.

John

Devonwoody,
I can't really believe that dial-gauges are that expensive in the UK; They only cost the equivalent of about 20 pounds over here.

John,
I plead guilty to indifferent photography; I probably should have dragged my workbench out into the sunlight, instead of relying on flash. Here is an exploded diagram of the jig, which may clarify the photo a bit:

http://community.webshots.com/photo/143 ... 1081JKuRMy

Rockerau

Neil,

Members of the Australian Woodworking forum

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/

suggest that the Trend jig is not good value for money; apparently it is fiddly to set up. It might pay you to build my jig rather than spending around 600 pounds on the Leigh :)

Rockerau

Dial gauge is £12 from Axminster. Although the absence of a mounting lug isn't very helpful. There was a thread a few months ago on the subject.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Rocker
The jig looks great! Adding in the micro-adjustment is brilliant, and I bet you can get accurate M&Ts out of it.
I have the Leigh jig, which I was v happy to swap £500 for! I've only had it a short time, but in that time I've happened to need to use it for just about every M&T application you can think of, including some quite fiddly jig-within-jig applications, morticing turned pieces, compound-angled M&Ts, over-sized through-tenons etc.
I suppose your jig (like any) has its limits when it comes to this kind of thing, but for an inexpensive shop-made jig I reckon it's a winner!

Sorry, Rockerau. I have a Woodrat you see, which pretty much does the same thing. Plus some other stuff... Out of interest, whats a "JDS Multirouter"?

Cheers, Alf

Alf,

As usual not available this side of the planet
www.thejdscompany.com and at $2,595 a throw not much likley.....
JDS do make an excellent after market mitre guage for the tablesaw which I've had my eyes on for ages.

Rgds

Noel

Ta Rocker,
Had a look at this when it was recently released and it looks interesting. The only aftermarket guage I've used tried is the Osborne EB3 and although well made thought it was a little flimsy. So hard to get a idea of quality when the nearest retailer is 2000 miles west of me....
I'll keep an eye out for a mag review of the Kreg. I know the Incra is available over here from "if we had to recommend..." Rutlands but no big fan of Incra.

Rgds

Noel

If anyone is interested in this jig, I would recommend that you pm Rockerau for the article from Australian Woodworker - it has plenty of detail about the jig, which looks excellent BTW.

NeilCFD

rockerau":x64c6mox said:
Devonwoody,
I can't really believe that dial-gauges are that expensive in the UK; They only cost the equivalent of about 20 pounds over here.
Rockerau

£20-£25 is right for here too.

Cheers

Tony

Noel,

Some after-market mitre gauges are reviewed in Fine Woodworking #165; however, the Kreg and Incra V27 were not out at that time. They are reviewed in FW #168 (Feb 2004). The Kreg has been renamed; at the time of the review, it was called the FasTTrak. It achieved an Excellent rating from FW. I believe that Prairie River Woodworking, the maker of the jig, don't ship overseas, but if you contact them, they will tell you someone who will.

Rockerau

Hi Rock,

Thanks for that .I'll see what info I can find.

Rgds

Noel

Hi Rocker

I am in the middle of a project (4 planter boxes) which entails 64 M/T joints. Mortices all done, 10 tenons fitted, how deep a tenon does your jig supply?
Do you have to take off some fat before fitting?

Back