'Precision' Clamping squares.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just checked Rutlands website: ............................. Send them back.

I didn't realize I could. I've since milled them square at work, so they at least fit for purpose now.

The OP was basically a copy of the email I sent them,

Hi,
I have a bit of a problem.
Last July I ordered – on a whim – a couple of your framing squares. (order RUL245562).
They’ve sat on a shelf since they arrived, but today I used them to help clamp up the pedestals of a desk I’m building.
Half way through glue up I found that things weren’t fitting together properly.
Here’s why

I’m an engineer, so I may be expecting a bit too much, but these don’t seem fit-for-purpose to me. Certainly not the advertised “Accurate to 0.01mm Per 10mm Squareness”
Strangely, the inside angles are pretty much dead on, which suggests a manufacturing fault, rather than the clamps being bent due to an applied force.
I can take them to work and mill them square, but I thought you should be made aware of the quality of the item – especially as it has your name on it.
Thanks for your time,
Best wishes,

Their reply.

Thank you for your email.
We sincerely apologise that you are not completely satisfied with your clamping square.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will check with our stock to make sure that this was a one off fault.
Once again, we apologise for the inconvenience caused.
Kind Regards

I thought they'd at least offer to replace them.
I haven't bought anything from them since.

I didn't realize I could. I've since milled them square at work, so they at least fit for purpose now.

Hi,
Last July I ordered – on a whim – a couple of your framing squares. (order RUL245562).
They’ve sat on a shelf since they arrived, but today I used them to help clamp up the pedestals of a desk I’m building.
Here’s why

I’m an engineer, so I may be expecting a bit too much, but these don’t seem fit-for-purpose to me. Certainly not the advertised “Accurate to 0.01mm Per 10mm Squareness”
Strangely, the inside angles are pretty much dead on, which suggests a manufacturing fault, rather than the clamps being bent due to an applied force.
I can take them to work and mill them square, but I thought you should be made aware of the quality of the item – especially as it has your name on it.
Thanks for your time,
Best wishes,

Their reply.

We sincerely apologise that you are not completely satisfied with your clamping square.
Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We will check with our stock to make sure that this was a one off fault.
Kind Regards

Not really, your letter makes it clear it is just an FYI letter and that you have resolved the problem yourself.

There response seems reasonable to me.

It's a very reasonable response.

It was an FYI email because I didn't know about the lifetime guarantee, I assumed I'd had them too long to be replaced.

Knowing about the lifetime guarantee - as I assume their rep did - then now I'd expect to be offered a replacement before I took them to work and fixed them.

When I brought it to their attention I had hoped for either a replacement or maybe even a credit note ......... I should've asked directly really :)

Edit
your letter makes it clear it is just an FYI letter and that you have resolved the problem yourself.

Just to make it clear, I hadn't fixed the problem, I said I could fix the problem :)

I'd expect to be offered a replacement before I took them to work and fixed them.

They'd need to check their stock. No point in replacing yours if the rest of it is wonky too.

I should've asked directly really :)

Yes, you should, but you've milled them now i.e. modified them and you can't expect them to take a modified product back. I agree on some sort of freebie though :)

No wish to appear thick but your first statement lost me :)
If only mine were bad then they should replace them, but if all of them are bad they shouldn't replace any?

No, no, I wouldn't dream of asking them to take a modified product back - hence I made it clear to them I could fix the problem, if I had to

Yeah a discount code for a future purchase would have been the best good will in the circumstances. After all, as they boast now, it's got their name on it

No wish to appear thick but your first statement lost me :)
If only mine were bad then they should replace them, but if all of them are bad they shouldn't replace any?

There's no point in replacing wonky ones with wonky ones.

There's no point in them just shipping out a new set for you without checking they aren't useless too. They'll also want to check them all and then bump them out of stock if they're all like that. I'd also expect them to contact those that purchased them offering a refund if they are not happy.

The last part is the difference between good customer service and adequate.

The good news is that we have contacted Incra and will be a lowering the price of many of the Incra rules and including free pencils for our customers, I am very happy Incra have been able to support our efforts to remain competitive.
Peter, will this apply to all the Incra router plates because I would like a 7518-T for my Triton. However it is still full price on WWW whereas all the others are discounted by £15?

Hi Mike, sorry the new discount is for the Incra Rules only.

The Incra 7518-T MagnaLOCK Plate is still at £129.95 but the perfect fit for the Tritons as it's pre drilled for both fixing and the winder holes. We reduced the price of the other plates as we had a few in stock and it looks like its been left at the lower price ever since :)

The Incra 621625-AL used to be our biggest selling plate when we sold the Router Raizer for Dewalt and Elu routers but the RR is no longer made, but the plate still works with these routers and the winder hole works with the Trend routers with above the table winding.

I plan on keeping the Undrilled Plate at the lower price £114.95 as customers do have to do a little drilling to suit their router but I still believe the MagnaLOCK insert system is the best ever produced.

The website is currently showing the 7518 as out of stock, we had 11 pallets of Incra delivered last week so hopefully we haven't sold out already.

Cheers Peter

I think I had a £7 voucher for banggood which is why I didn;'t even look elsewhere. Plus the link I used was supporting the youtuber I saw with them and I was also getting some other bits, among which were these very nice 200 and 400mm thingies below.
fbac61f1-a527-4a77-9307-44d74d11ec2c.jpg
Late to the party, but what is that thingy called? It looks very useful.

Late to the party, but what is that thingy called? It looks very useful.
A t-Rule. And it is indeed very useful. The cheaper nasty chinese fake ones I got are excellent so the Incra ones should be at least as good. I got the 200mm with a 0.5mm pencil (I don't have ANY mechanical pencils!) and a 400mm. It was even a UNI branded pencil and only pokes a reasonable amount of lead out when I press the button.

https://woodworkersworkshop.co.uk/collections/rules

Hi,
Here’s why

Thanks for your time,
Best wishes,

Their reply.

Kind Regards

Even though you informed it was FYI given they have the life time warranty you'd have thought as you say they would have offered replacements following you returning the one's you had for closer inspection. Doesn't instill confidence in either their warranty or integrity in my mind

Back