'Precision' Clamping squares.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I had a ÂŁ7 voucher for banggood which is why I didn;'t even look elsewhere. Plus the link I used was supporting the youtuber I saw with them and I was also getting some other bits, among which were these very nice 200 and 400mm thingies below.
fbac61f1-a527-4a77-9307-44d74d11ec2c.jpg

It saddens me to see Chinese copies of original products which are still available, I know and fully understand they are cheaper but are they contributing to the UK economy.

It saddens me to see Chinese copies of original products which are still available, I know and fully understand they are cheaper but are they contributing to the UK economy.

In their defence they do have some products that aren't straight up copies.

In the OP's case it seems wrong to pay a premium for a rebadged product sold in the UK that's worse quality that can be had, for less, from the same suppliers via banggood - albeit in red and not black.

I'm sure a quality place like yours doesn't do it, but Rutlands is also a UK company and they seem to do it a lot, simple rebadging. I can't wait to buy one of their rebadged Katsu routers in black at a super inflated price...:rolleyes: if the price difference wasn't double then I'd be more supportive of them.

IIRC in the 70's when they came to see how the UK made teddy bears, they went back home and showed us how to make teddy bears..

I'd guess that a large proportion of the people who would buy the Chinese copy are people who cannot afford Incra prices, and those who would habitually buy Incra would turn up their nose at a cheap Chinese copy, therefore the net loss to Incra and it's vendors is very small. But I could be wrong.

I'd guess that a large proportion of the people who would buy the Chinese copy are people who cannot afford Incra prices, and those who would habitually buy Incra would turn up their nose at a cheap Chinese copy, therefore the net loss to Incra and it's vendors is very small. But I could be wrong.

This will usually be the way, but Chinese things are generally cheaper because they have a much lower cost base, not because they're cutting corners and making rubbish. OK yes they DO make absolute tat as well. Also the Chinese don't have any R&D costs to cover, etc etc.

For something as simple as a square, well if it's 90 degrees then end of story right? Whether it's got a brand name on it or not is neither here nor there. The chance of it being square to start with is the difference I suppose.

I wouldn't buy Incra because it looks gawdy.

Also the Chinese don't have any R&D costs to cover, etc etc.
Yes, I realised after I posted that there is a patent infringement issue here, (assuming that Incra have worldwide patents on this particular tool) which is not to be condoned. It's all very well if the Chinese copy a tool that is made by everyone, but when it's a unique design that belongs to one particular company I am not so comfortable with that.

Yes, I realised after I posted that there is a patent infringement issue here, (assuming that Incra have worldwide patents on this particular tool) which is not to be condoned. It's all very well if the Chinese copy a tool that is made by everyone, but when it's a unique design that belongs to one particular company I am not so comfortable with that.

There's no patent infringement issue at all. The patent has expired. (granted in 1997). (Patent USD384900)

Last edited:
It’s not unusual for the expensive original and cheap copy to be made in the same factory.

I’m impressed at the un-square square, that must have taken some effort

Aidan

Just checked Rutlands website:

Key Features
  • Lifetime Warranty
    If any square fails due to a material or manufacturing defect it will be replaced free of charge

Send them back.

That can just mean that they put a label on it, that still counts as made in the USA.

Aidan
Incra are not talking about the label, they are talking about a product they concieved, developed, produced, patented, marketed, supported dealers, looked after their customers and paid their taxes.

Given the comments about Banggood vs Amazon I went to Denis's China Tools web page and compared the prices of a few items and they vary, sometimes Banggood are cheaper, sometimes Amazon so it's worth checking.

Given the comments about Banggood vs Amazon I went to Denis's China Tools web page and compared the prices of a few items and they vary, sometimes Banggood are cheaper, sometimes Amazon so it's worth checking.

You have to be careful. Whilst some are available on prime (next day delivery), other ones are just being drop shipped by banggood.

Back