'Precision' Clamping squares.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peri

Established Member
Reaction score
About a year ago I impulse ordered a couple of clamping squares from Rutlands.

They've sat on a shelf since they arrived, but I grabbed them recently to help with my latest project.

Half way through glue up and things aren't coming together like I expect.

Heres why.

Clamp 1
1.jpg

Clamp 2
2.jpg

Not sure they hit the advertised “Accurate to 0.01mm Per 10mm Squareness” :)

Strangely, the inside angles are dead on - which sort of rules out them being bent due to an applied force.

For Rutlands kit, those clamps are indeed very precise. Be grateful you must have got a Wednesday made set rather than a Friday banana :p

You are using them the wrong way around, the inside angles are square because they are the surface you are meant to use, hence the cut out at the internal intersection.

EDIT: Just checked the Rutlands site, they claim they can be used either way, so that is rather poor. On the up side though, you can use them effectively one way.

I have the Woodpeckers clamping squares and never had a problem with them. However, your post made me curious, so I checked the squareness of my set. I am happy to report they are perfect, both inside and out, which is good since Woodpeckers states they can be used in both orientations.

I made a couple from some offcuts. 2 sides joined with a dovetail plus a corner brace with M&Ts into the sides. Strong and square but the corner brace means I can only use the outside of them.

As I've just bought a pair of these from Banggood (mine are red, otherwise they are identical) then I read this post, so I thought I would check them against my engineer's square and they are perfect, inside and out, no gaps.

IMG_9065.jpg

Here's me using some, once I'd removed the LED panel I think clamped the crosspiece to the clamps to make sure it was at 90 degrees to the sides.

As I've just bought a pair of these from Banggood (mine are red, otherwise they are identical) then I read this post, so I thought I would check them against my engineer's square and they are perfect, inside and out, no gaps.
I have some winging their way here after seeing Dennis (Hooked on wood) talk about them. I got the ones with more holes and the clamps too though.

I have some winging their way here after seeing Dennis (Hooked on wood) talk about them. I got the ones with more holes and the clamps too though.

Which ones did you go for? I could probably do with a few more.

Back