Precise Jigsaw: Festool PS420 EBQ-Plus or Bosch GST160CE ?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iancd

Established Member
Reaction score
I need to cut some curved corner braces (quadrants) from 6" x 2" oak, each about 500mm long.
I don't have a band saw, which I guess might be the best tool for this job, but I'm thinking a really good jigsaw might do it.
The Bosch is £230 at Axminster: 800W motor, barrel grip, looks good http://www.axminster.co.uk/bosch-gst-160-ce-jigsaw-body-grip-506142
A few user reviews I've seen have complained that it runs very hot, but there's good feedback here about other Bosch jigsaw's with precision control.
The Festool looks very good: 550W brushless motor, £265 at Axminster with systainer http://www.axminster.co.uk/festool-ps-420-ebq-plus-jigsaw-ax887310
But it looks like you have to buy a separate base at £96 for bevel cuts... Is that right?
Anyone had experience of either of these - or both?
Thanks,
Ian

If it was me, I would buy a cheap jigsaw and then finish the cut with a 50mm trimming router bit (the replaceable tip ones from wealdon are the best) and a template made in 6mm or 9mm mdf.

I may be wrong but I dont think jigsaws are capable of anything other than rough cutting out work, especially in thick oak.

when it comes to jigsaws i think the mafell is the undisputed king, and ive heard that the festool jigsaw is no better than the bosch, if i had £300 to spend on a jigsaw it would definitely be the mafell it seems to be in a class of its own in terms of design and performance, i think its around £400 in uk but you can get it online from Germany for £300 ish.

theres a few reviews of it on youtube

Alexfn":1rxnhpzy said:
when it comes to jigsaws i think the mafell is the undisputed king, and ive heard that the festool jigsaw is no better than the bosch, if i had £300 to spend on a jigsaw it would definitely be the mafell it seems to be in a class of its own in terms of design and performance, i think its around £400 in uk but you can get it online from Germany for £300 ish.

theres a few reviews of it on youtube

Hi if you don' mind me asking which site is that

Thanks Alex, but the Mafell really is above my price range for what is likely to be an infrequently used tool.
I'm leaning toward the Bosch, as the Festool bevel plate does have to be bought separately, which pushes the price up another £100
Also now considering the Metabo STE 140 Plus: http://www.metabo.co.uk/Product-catalogue-handheld-powertools.23958+M529915b2e5d.0.html
Grip looks more comfortable than the Bosch. Has LED work lighting and dust blower. Unclear how accurate / precise the cuts are, though claims "Precise and material-matched sawing due to the variable stroke rate, pendulum stroke and low-lying saw blade guidance with spring support"
Has anyone had any experience with this model?

Hello Ian, jigsaw design, both the machines and the blades, has come on a long way in the past few years. The right blade in the right machine can now deliver pretty much any cut you like, tight curves, smooth finish, roughing out of thick stock, etc.

You need a machine that has a "pendulum action" and furthermore one that can be adjusted across a few different settings, nowadays that's probably all the decent quality machines. The Festool has a disposable shoe that sits right above the cut and helps a lot with controlling break out, if the Bosch has a similar device then I'd go for that. The Festool's dust extraction is second to none, but for an occasional user that isn't really necessary.

Do some homework about alternative blades, and match the blade to exactly what you're trying to achieve. The only other thing to consider is work holding. You need to fasten the workpiece really securely for the best results, just holding it by hand overhanging the bench introduces a lot of vibration into the system which spoils the cut. Getting it well secured with a couple of F Clamps makes a big difference and is worth doing even if you have to re-position the workpiece a couple of times to complete the cut.

If you do all that you'll be delighted with what can be achieved.

Good luck!

Hiya, I used my previous generation Festool jigsaw yesterday to cut 35mm Oak with no drama. Largely straight cuts but also a few 30mm Radius turns, though the curves did need a little care to get right. As C says careful choice of quality blades has a big effect on the result, and yes clamp it down really solid.

The machine I have is still available at about the same price as the Bosch, and it does have an adjustable base so you can cut bevels with it.

Hope you get a solution you are happy with.

Hi Ian, my short answer is that out of the two you mentioned, I would go for the Bosch above the festool.

I own the festool 420 and have the previous version Bosch (i.e. the gst140ce). I checked out the 160 closely but decided not to buy as my 140ce was still my go to jigsaw - the 160 has a slightly bigger motor (not noticeable) and a claimed improved blade guide. But as custard mentioned, with the right blade, good workholding and good calibration plus technique I have been more than happy with my 140 three years on. It is much more sturdy and powerful than the festool.

BUT... if you can hold out and spend more I would go for the mafell. Two of my friends have it (one on another woodwork forum) and it is very powerful and accurate jigsaw. Plus theres a coping foot attachment available from a 3rd party (look up the collins foot) which you could use on the mafell which might help if you lack a bandsaw and want to do more curved and intricate cuts

I haven't used the ps420 or gst160 but have spent a lot of time with these machines:
Festo PS200 - 17 years old and still my favourite
Festo PS300 - similar to the PS200 in use with more refined dust extraction
Bosch GST150 - The blade clamping and guides are really poor - put a thick 144DP blade in this machine, holding by the baseplate you can bend and twist the blade all over the place
I would get the Festo PS300 trion & learn how to set the carbide guides
Matt

Thanks, folks, for all the thoughtful replies and good advice (which I'll come back to for future reference)...

When I considered all the feedback and reviews, none of the options seemed particularly attractive. The Mafell was consistently recommended, not just here, but by one of the dealers I spoke to as standing out well above the others... but I baulked at spending £400 on a jigsaw, and possibly extra for attachments, angle base plate, etc. and then £35 for every pair of those Cuprex blades..!!

So, I rethought this: what do I need to do now, and what would be most useful in the future?
I checked out bandsaws, which I didn't think I had room for in the workshop, but it seems I do...
I just bought a Record Power BS300E. £100 off at the moment: £499 including its heavy wheeled stand.

That's much more than I was intending to spend - and it's gone on the credit card of course - but it's going to be so much more useful than a jigsaw for what I need to do right now..!! :)

Thanks Phil...
I know very little about bandsaws. It's just got the one blade that came with the machine (which is still in its box in the back of the car!)
I guess I want a fairly narrow blade for curves..? Although the curve is fairly gentle, probably about 400mm radius, and the cut is in 2" oak.

Alexfn":1cnkyfej said:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mafell-Prazisionsstichsage-P1-cc-MaxiMAX-im-MAFELL-MAX-917103-/380782384903?hash=item58a8661707:g:~cYAAOSwsB9WDQ9D

Interesting, have you tried this, do you know if there is import duty or taxes to pay if ordered from Germany?

400mm is huge - just about any blade your saw will handle will cut that - a 1/4" blade will cut a 16mm radius. It needs very few teeth, though, only about 3 tpi. Get hold of Tuffsaws and ask, if you're unsure. If you are to do anything rough, it's worth getting an M42 blade.

Shrubby":s9kj4wmc said:
I would get the Festo PS300 trion & learn how to set the carbide guides
Matt

I agree , I've got the 300 and the cordless 420. Most of the problems you hear are from people who haven't bothered to set the guides up right.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

phil.p":1ml05yhx said:
400mm is huge - just about any blade your saw will handle will cut that - a 1/4" blade will cut a 16mm radius. It needs very few teeth, though, only about 3 tpi. Get hold of Tuffsaws and ask, if you're unsure. If you are to do anything rough, it's worth getting an M42 blade.

Thanks Phil,
I guess 'rough' would include ripping 4" think oak 'sleepers'..?
Now that I have the bandsaw - and a couple of Axminster's heavy duty roller stands - I imagine I could usefully cut down the 8" x 4" and 9" x 5" sleepers that are available locally.
I think they import them from France and as long as the yard guy is happy for me to sort through them and choose what I want, there's some reasonable timber there at a good price... I need 4" x 2.5" lengths for a curtain wall after I've built the deck...

Latest posts

Back