Pre-veneered panels for DIY wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vikash

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've previously created a walk-in using the kitchens panels from Ikea to good effect, but the material wasn't exactly great to work with, and I couldn't find a good edging match etc.

I'm doing another custom wardrobe, but this time wanted to use use pre-veneered panels either with a plywood/mdf or even chipboard base depending on cost and veneer finish. Any recommendations where I can source this from?

Attachments

• 20180415_211335.jpg
    20180415_211335.jpg
    288.4 KB · Views: 158
I'm doing this exact thing right now, oak-flavoured MDF.
You will be able to order it, in several different grades, from just about any timberyard.
So for example, my carcases are going to be BB grade, crown-cut, whilst the doors are going to be quarter-sawn AB. The difference in cost is minimal, I've been quoted 44 for the crown-cut and 46 for the QS. The problem with this sort of stuff is how you deal with the edges, but that's a whole other bag of nails.

I've been after similar but plywood as the substrate. Very difficult to source with plywood of a reasonable thickness

Prizen":1xhehvu2 said:
I've been after similar but plywood as the substrate. Very difficult to source with plywood of a reasonable thickness
I enquired about the same not long ago. I was told that the manufacturing process of veneering plywood with thin veneers (like 0.5mm) was prone to defects because of the variations in the natural wood in plywood layers, so they use MDF because it's more reliable to make with high quality, but very thin, veneers.

GallerySammy.com

Prizen":1bvi5exo said:
I bought the thinest veneered plywood I could find and laminated it with more plywood to bring it up to 18mm.

Sent from my Redmi Note 5 using Tapatalk

Back