Pre-veneered board - MDF or ply?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john983

Reaction score
Just finalising the material choice for building a walk-in dressing room and have settled on using 38mm pre-veneered boards for the shelving and to support the hanging rails.

The choice seems to be between using pre-veneered MDF or ply. Given the lesser weight and strength (to avoid any sag), seems ply may be the best? I would like to ask if anyone with experience has any suggestions on the best choice here.

Thanks in advance!

Hi John, I got over this problem once by making the shelves as torsion boxes, two sheets of veneered MDF with strips of pine all glued together to form a sandwich and lipped on the front edge, yes it worked a treat but I realised after spending many hours on it that it would’ve been much better quicker and cheaper to just use solid oak.
And you wouldn’t have the assault on the senses of such thick edges showing. Ian

You mean 38 mm for the vertical components. ? It would be impossibly heavy for shelving. Of course with shelving you only need to stiffen the front and back edges and I've done this by milling a 40 mm batten with a 16 mm dado to take the panelboard. It works fine and the only hassle is matching solid wood to the panelboard.
I'd recommend using the oval style rails that simply clip in place - the circular older style rails are a pain to fit .

Back