Pre painting prep for Birch Ply

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidRa

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi ,I am making an alcove unit out of birch ply with the top edged with poplar and a poplar face frame and doors. It is going to be painted and I want to get a very smooth finish , particularly on the top of the unit and of course the edging, face frame and doors. Obviously I could and will sand before painting but I was wondering whether "filling" one or both materials would improve the overall finished appearance and if so what product would anyone recommend. Thanks in advance

Are you hand painting or spraying?
If spraying, you can use a high build primer and flat it back... if hand painting, fill anything that needs it, give it all a couple of coats of oil based and flat back prior to topcoat

Are you hand painting or spraying?
If spraying, you can use a high build primer and flat it back... if hand painting, fill anything that needs it, give it all a couple of coats of oil based and flat back prior to topcoat
hand painting

A light sand with 120 then ordinary acrylic primer will give you a good finish from there on. Both of those materials paint beautifully. Avoid sharp edges as they don’t like paint

I prime it with two coats of acrylic primer/undercoat. The first coat raises the grain and shows up any defects that need filling. I fill those and then cut back with 240mm abrasive before putting on the second coat.

Back