Pre-made: Table Legs and Aprons

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moller89

Reaction score
Hello,
Does anyone know a UK based company that makes pre-made table legs with aprons erc as a kit. I am working on the table top and would hope a kit would save some time?

Thanks

fairly common in the USA, but no so much over here that I have seen. it is a shame, it would make a dining table a fairly straightforward mix and match project for a competent DIYer. Add whatever you wanted as a top.

fairly common in the USA, but no so much over here that I have seen. it is a shame, it would make a dining table a fairly straightforward mix and match project for a competent DIYer. Add whatever you wanted as a top.
Agree

I've seen them on ebay

Takes a bit if the fun out of doing M+T don't you think?

Cheers James

Last edited:
They were definitely available; I’ve seen them in catalogs and a friend's father used them in his furniture making business.

I've seen them on way

Takes a bit if the fun out of doing M+T don't you think?

Cheers James

Depends. For my own table, I would probably make it traditionally and hand select every board. It would be very slow progress but for myself I don't begrudge it.

But there are many people out there that don't have the budget and want to design something online using a configurator. I can see a market for it. Legs £50 a pop, aprons £50 a pop, top of your choice in solid or veneered. Jigged up for production. Like configuring a new car on any manufacturers website- black paint, tan leather, nice wheels. Total cost £££

It's already done - IKEA and others. You buy the base of your choice and separately a top. Neat business model.
I first saw it in a posh shop in Tokyo which only did table tops - massive slabs and other constructions large and small, all finished and ready to go. They had then hanging up on rails and you could pull them out one by one.
You could take one home and stick it on the old rubbish table which you found in a skip!
PS if you lived in Tokyo that is. Difficult to get one on a plane.

Last edited:
A customer of mine has bought a cheap nest of tables and taken the tops off to put his own tops on. The tables were cheap enough to make it worthwhile.

Alternatively, see if there are any people near you who make contract furniture (pubs/NHS type stuff). There’s a couple near me (Lancashire) and they have loads of stuff lying around. Mainly straight grained birch though, so a little boring.

I think one issue is the English “mind set”. We expect things dirt cheap and don’t really care where the timber comes from or where it’s made. In the US there’s some of that too, but when they have disposable income, they are happier (gross generalisation) to spend it on quality custom made durable goods. I’m English but spent a large chunk of my adult life living in the US, so have seen both mind sets.

I had a quick look at one of the US sites selling aprons and legs and priced up a modest table. It came to $680 excluding sales tax and shipping. I’m sure many UK businesses would happily make you a beautiful table base for that kind of money, but very few people would pay it, hence its not offered. Would you make custom legs and apron for the same price as an IKEA table? No, me neither!

Latest posts

Back