pre fabricated garage

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

samonline

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm new so please bear with me. I don't know if you want to offer your advice. I would appreciate it very much if you do.

I've recently had a pre fab garage installed and about a week after having it installed by a professional company, I noticed the height was not as specified. They stated 2.43m in correspondence but it ended up only 2.2m high at the front. It's sloping down to 2.05m at the rear which is fine but I am disappointed at the discrepancy. What would you do? (apart from communicate with the company which I have done. I am awaiting their response)

Also, it's supposed to be a four wall garage, built next to the wall of the house. It's not meant to be attached. They didn't put any fascia board on the side that meets the house. What would you do or suggest for me to do? I have already communicated but they haven't offered to put in a timber board on that side, instead suggesting to demolish the whole lot to re-build.

I'll put up photos in a few hours when I have the first opportunity. Thanks in advance for your patience. I realise that this is a challenging issue - perhaps you know the solution?

Get your money back. I had a pre-fab garage at a previous house, it leaked, it was too hot in the summer and too cold in the winter. The window was rubbish and a gale blew in around the up and over door. I regretted it until I moved.

But

It was a lot cheaper than a brick built one and was instant. Totally rubbish as a workshop though.

Mick

Dig your heels in firmly and make them rebuild it to the correct specifications

or

If it's ok for your needs, negotiate a substantial refund as compensation to save them the cost of putting it right.

I agree that this type of stucture leaves a lot to be desired and I wouldn't personally choose one. Better than nothing though.

Bob

Did you have to apply for planning permission for it? If so it has to meet your original plans so you may be able to use your planning officer to your advantage.

deserter":ma9xgxcr said:
Did you have to apply for planning permission for it? If so it has to meet your original plans so you may be able to use your planning officer to your advantage.

That won't apply as far as planning goes as they are only really interested in appearance. Because it's undersize, they won't be interested.

Might be worth trying it on though shouldn't be necessary as it isn't what the supplying company specified which should make them viable.

Bob

Hi Guys,
Thank you very much for all your advise and support. Of course, further comments will be very much appreciated.
I will print this thread to send to the company post-sales team and will keep you updated whatever happens.

I didn't mention it before but after a short 1 hour drizzle, the splashback from the guttering went into the inside of the steel roof sheets, (the eaves are open and near the guttering) and caused the inside of the roof to be wet. The inside of the steel roof sheets has a soft absorbant coating. The company is suggesting to fill in the eaves with expanding foam. They don't think that the distance from the guttering to the eaves is related. The garage was supposed to be 2.43m not 2.2m high. What do you think of this?

Also, the fitters left one wooden wedge on the outside of the garage and this absorbed the rain and caused damp to soak inside, wetting the mortar fillet around the bottom. I tried to remove the wedge but it is stuck by the heavy concrete panels. Instead I covered it in mastic. It looks like a grey cowpat. It hasn't rained since so I don't know if mastic was the best solution for this. What do you think?

Thank you for all your comments and suggestions.
Re: the suggestion to rebuild, they sent the concrete panels with a spar finish instead of plain finish what we agreed.

Blimey, sorry to hear about your garage.

Take a load of photos, measurements, and get together all the paperwork so you can highlight the differences between what you asked for (and paid for) and what you were supplied.

Good luck!

Cost of this project:
2 side walls with concrete panels (1 wooden fascia board missing completely), double 5 foot timber door at back. Aperture at the front, with no garage door. Steel roof with 2 translucent panels across the roof, pvc gutter across with downpipe (not joined to house). The concrete foundation base was already there as they do not provide that service. The price does not include sealing the base or eaves, or Garage door, or windows. It was leaking from the wedge left in the base, all around the steel roof, and there was no wooden fascia board on the side that meets the house, instead leaving the brickwork of the house exposed.
Total Cost £3557.00

am i missing something. You ordered a garage, and they delivered some completely andom one. You didnt notice the substantial differences until it was erected. You contacted them to complain and they offered to rebuild it. and the thread still lingers on with slightly random updates about the price...?

If they have offered to rebuild it, let them do so.

The price is neither here nor there, it is what you agreed to when you ordered it good or bad. All that is in contention is the size and water ingress, let them rebuild and resolve the issues at their expence. Then you should be happy you got what you paid for. this time check as they build and make sure it meets the specification. If the specification/price was wrong then that is another matter and not for us to advise you. The price you paid would have built a decent timber, well insulated workshop but there you go its too late to be thinking that now. With the offer of as complete rebuild I doubt you stand a chance of getting a full refund to go down any other route anyway.

Lons":td8bmblo said:
Dig your heels in firmly and make them rebuild it to the correct specifications

or

If it's ok for your needs, negotiate a substantial refund as compensation to save them the cost of putting it right.

I agree that this type of stucture leaves a lot to be desired and I wouldn't personally choose one. Better than nothing though.

Bob
+1
It should do what it says on the tin, if it doesn't then do as Bob has suggested.

Stew

Back