Pre catalysed laquer

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny

Established Member
Reaction score
In the distant past I used something called pre catalyzed laquer which came straight out of the container and wiped on. It was so easy to use and to get a good finish. Does anyone know if its still available and if so what the brand name is?

Pre-catalysed lacquer is available from all trade suppliers. Your nearest would be Mylands.

http://www.myland.co.uk/
It is made by a bunch of others including Morrels which is what I use. I spray mine, not heard about wiping it but no reason one could'nt I suppose.

Don't be misled by their website catalog, their printed version carries far far more.

Chris

I was showed how easy it was to use pre-catalysed laquer at Senior Carmichaels - when I did a short stint there. Although they have spray facitilites - i was just doing a few samples - and so wiped it on. I had a spongy absorbent chunk of material- about the size of a golf ball around which was wrapped a strong piece of cloth possibly cotton. This was dipped in the laquer - the outer cloth keeping the surface "smooth" and the internal sponge acting as a reservior of the laquer.

Very quick and easy - and the results were very good.

Thanks Chris - could'nt find a trade name for it.

Asleitch - thats they way I was shown, as you say it was easy to apply with good results.

Thanks

Not sure if this answer is too late to be helpful, but hopefully someone might find it to be so.

Our (Chestnut Products' that is) Melamine Lacquer is a pre-catalysed lacquer, should you be having trouble getting hold of any.

Be careful, not all Cellulose Sanding Sealers can be used with Pre-cats, so make sure that the sealer is compatible (or use the lacquer coat on coat on bare wood if the product allows - ours does).

Back