PPE for turning - concerns over the PAPR masks

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RichardG

If at first you don’t succeed have a cup of tea.
Reaction score
After much searching on the forum I ended up with a Honeywell Bionic face shield which is light and comfortable to use. However, after turning some ash for a morning I had a horrible taste in my mouth which obviously meant that I’ve been breathing in dust/fumes even though I’ve done no sanding. I started wearing my GVS ellipse mask underneath but with a pair of glasses, bionic face shield and a dust mask it’s fairly uncomfortable and a pain to get on. So I had a search again and saw the various discussions particularly on the powered respirators. These look ideal and I would be happy to buy one if this was going to be the last piece of head ppe I buy. However, there was lot of concerns over the ratings of these particularly the JSP powercap (plus Axminster variant) that it was only APF10 which is no good for hardwood or MDF. The Trend airshield is better at AP20 and the same price but is heavier which concerns me. However, I can’t find mention of any actual certification for either device which again concerns me, have these actually been tested? I have ended up going round in circles, my heart wants the JSP powercap as it’s smaller, lighter and has a lithium ion battery. the airshield looks huge and I’ve seen several comments on neck ache. Plus the fact that I can’t find any certification on either makes a decision even harder.

Sorry that’s a lot of waffle, but would be interested in other people’s comments. My real question is, though, what else do people use?

thanks in advance.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the Axminster type and found it very good the only thing that I tend to avoid is MDF all other woods seem to be OK and as for impact I have only ever had one piece of wood fly off the lathe which hit me full face on and the shield stopped it without any damage to the mask it did however make me jump but does put me at ease knowing it did it's job.
I find it comfortable to wear even for long periods and the battery lasts all day on a full charge I find that with normal use that a charge may last for a week of on and off turning.
So I am a very happy person concerning mine

Another Airshield user here (when I can get out to the lathe....), I've not had any issues with my neck either:)

I use a Honeywell bionic face shield with a 3m maintenance free dust mask .....works fine for me.
If your that worried about dust you could always wrap a neck snood around then use faceshield and mask

Steve

I have the airshield pro, and some people do get neck ache when first using it as the battery is right at the very top, so there is a fair amount of leverage applied to your neck unless your head is absolutely vertical. I put the battery on a cable in a small box so its in my pocket instead, a big difference.

When I am sanding, I have the airshield pro AND the dust extractor running, so most of the dust goes in the dust extractor and I am only relying on the airshield pro to remove the rest of the dust.

I use a Honeywell bionic face shield with a 3m maintenance free dust mask .....works fine for me.
If your that worried about dust you could always wrap a neck snood around then use faceshield and mask

Steve

Have you had any problems with misting up? My GVS mask has a central outlet and it tends to fog the visor (my workshop is not that warm).

I have the airshield pro, and some people do get neck ache when first using it as the battery is right at the very top, so there is a fair amount of leverage applied to your neck unless your head is absolutely vertical. I put the battery on a cable in a small box so its in my pocket instead, a big difference.

When I am sanding, I have the airshield pro AND the dust extractor running, so most of the dust goes in the dust extractor and I am only relying on the airshield pro to remove the rest of the dust.

Thanks, that’s useful to know there is an option to move the battery. I’ve tried a few local suppliers who will be open next week but many of them don‘t have stock or are unsure about whether you’ll be able to try PPE before buying.

Whenever I cut MDF I always have some form of extraction on. However, as my extraction is not rated for continuous use I only tend use it on when sanding on the lathe. That made me wonder if the lower rated JSP air cap would be good enough. That’s one of the reasons I went looking for the certification, it may be the air cap didn’t quite make APF20 and the airshield just managed to scrape through so in practice they are almost the same...

I use a second hand 3M versaflo.

New they are super pricey, but I have to say, it is the mutts nuts. The filter is in the small of your back on a belt, and a pipe takes the air up to your head piece

Hi Richard.
It can fog up a bit but usually breathing causes water residue in mask but to no effect...if it does fog up too much I just stop turning for 5 and lift visor....

I’ve got the JSP Power Cap IP .It does what it says on the tin . The only criticism/problem i’ve had is that one of the (rather flimsy) battery clips broke off, meaning that it now attaches to the helmet by a single clip. If that breaks....it’s a new battery at £80.
Like Delboy, I have had one thing come off the lathe and glance off the shield.. A shock but no harm done.
D.

I wear a 3M stealth dust mask under my bionic and have no problems, unless I am turning ìn really cold shop.

I use a second hand 3M versaflo.

New they are super pricey, but I have to say, it is the mutts nuts. The filter is in the small of your back on a belt, and a pipe takes the air up to your head piece

I‘m not sure how comfortable I’d feel using someone’s PPE, you have no idea what or where it’s been used...although I guess they are designed to be cleaned so a thorough dismantling and washing and new filters would be fine, might give this some thought. My brother-in-law works for 3M and I had hoped he could do me a deal, no such luck :(

Thanks to everyone for their thoughts. I’m think I’m going to have to wait until I can actually see/try them before making a decision. In the meantime I’ll stick with what I have, with warmer weather coming the misting should be less of an issue.

I bought my JSP Powercap in the early oughts. The power pack is the original one that it came with that is on a long cable so I can put it in my smock back pocket or clip to a belt. It still powers the mask for a full day. No neck pain that I can recall. Have to wear ear-buds to listen to my books because I can't wear over-the-ear headphones while wearing it.

I also use the Trend Airshield Pro for hours on end with no problem. I vaccum the filters regularly and use both the Trend AP plus air extraction when sanding. One big advantage with the Trend is that my glasses do not steam up. I can also wear it with a beani hat when it is cold. I never use the lathe with out it on since an afternoon in the eye hospital at the beginning of my wood turning activity. According to the wood guides most wood dust is toxic stuff anyway.

See photos below. They are 18650 size batteries, the box is for storing 4 of them. I would suggest a waist band pouch worn backwards to store the battery pack, then the cable doesn't swing round the front which could catch on things.

IMG_20210412_194441.jpg
IMG_20210412_194423.jpg
IMG_20210412_194320.jpg
The black box is what originally held the batteries.

Latest posts

Back