powershop 110 ras

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zander

Reaction score
Hi i am new to this site and really enjoying the reading .

I have just bought a dewalt BxD powershop 110 ras and was wondering if anyone could put a age on it .
I have set it up and it runs smooth with no movement on bearings ect really tight and quiet.
the serial no as follows GM73/3793

your time is appreciated

Prior to 1960 deWalt were owned by AMF, not Black & Decker, so that means that even the oldest Black & Decker radial arm saws are 1960 or later. Some B&D stuff like the radial arm saws were rebranded deWalt in the late 1960s or early 1970s, but I can't sem to find any reference to when DW's factory in Italy opened. The 110 doesn't appear in some mid-1960s literature I have, but I have the June and July 1973 editions of The Woodworker which have a review of the deWalt DW110 (presumably a relatively new model at the time), so your machine must be presumably be something like 1966 to 1972. I certainly bought my first radial arm saw, a DW111 back in 1979, and by then that model, which had replaced the DW110. had itself already been superseded by the DW125 (so I got mine at a discount). Brings back memories

Sorry, rodders, but BOTH the models you link to are unrelated models. The nearest American market model to the DW110/DW111 was the 7790 which had detailed differences between it and the European models. As far as I'm aware there weren't that many differences between a DW110 and a DW111 - but the most obvious was the design of the guard which on a later DW111 model was very identical to that of the DW125 - possibly 1974 machinery regs, who knows. (US model 7790 below)

9511-A.jpg

Job and Knock":1d104bph said:
Prior to 1960 deWalt were owned by AMF, not Black & Decker, so that means that even the oldest Black & Decker radial arm saws are 1960 or later. Some B&D stuff like the radial arm saws were rebranded deWalt in the late 1960s or early 1970s, but I can't sem to find any reference to when DW's factory in Italy opened. The 110 doesn't appear in some mid-1960s literature I have, but I have the June and July 1973 editions of The Woodworker which have a review of the deWalt DW110 (presumably a relatively new model at the time), so your machine must be presumably be something like 1966 to 1972. I certainly bought my first radial arm saw, a DW111 back in 1979, and by then that model, which had replaced the DW110. had itself already been superseded by the DW125 (so I got mine at a discount). Brings back memories
thanks for the input i found this just now and thinking it may be 1973 with the manual date /start of serial and your input .

zander":2tuxlzjs said:
thanks for the input i found this just now and thinking it may be 1973 with the manual date /start of serial and your input .
Could well be the very end of production, then. Also take a look at the photo of the American market model I posted above - this is a 7790 which were apprantly marked "Made in Italy" and look very similar to the DW110/DW111 models, other than the paintwork and guard details, oh and the start stop buttons (end of arm on DW110? but under table on DW111)

Job and Knock":1drx7f3a said:
zander":1drx7f3a said:
Could well be the very end of production, then. Also take a look at the photo of the American market model I posted above - this is a 7790 which were apprantly marked "Made in Italy" and look very similar to the DW110/DW111 models, other than the paintwork and guard details, oh and the start stop buttons (end of arm on DW110? but under table on DW111)
similar yes . the start stop is on the end of the arm ,i have the manual in pdf but not allowed to post the link for some reason ,the manual has a date of 1975 ???

You might like to read this article on the history of the deWalt radial arm saw (from an American perspective - they don't take into account European production). Interestingly the Wadkin BRA industrial radial arm saw is supposed to have been developed (copied) from the deWalt industrial radial arm saws, appearing in about 1957 (the original BRAs looked very similar to the heavy US-made DWs which are teses days sold by Original Saw in the USA). Somewhere or other I have a ring bound book on the radial arm saw originally written for deWalt and sold through their UK dealers. For the life of me I cannot remember what it's called, but it's one of the better books on setting-up and using these saws (and much better than the factory manuals)

This old thread suggests the first two numbers of the serial no. are the year of manufacture. I had a 110 very similar to the one in that thread for a while and it was a nice quiet saw - bit of a lump in a small workshop, mind.

My apologies Zander, as Job and Knock rightfully points out I have left links to american models,
I should have read to the end and seen for myself.
Regards Rodders

Back