Power tool cable management

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say don't.
I tried this idea on a bunch of my tools 20 years ago using a high quality connector design that is smaller than the neutrik and very reliable
I've gradually returned them all to captive, extra long, H05 or H07 grade rubber flex.

The issue is that a connector, however good, on the cord close to the tool tends to catch on the edges of your work and your bench.
Having the connector built into the tool doesn't create this issue.
It's an appealing idea but "been there, done that, wasn't convinced".
Spend less money replacing the factory PVC mains cables with longer ones made from 2 or 3 core H07RNF rubber in the correct cross sectional area. They don't cost much, handle well and make a corded tool nicer to use.
agree entirely. Did the same myself years ago, and soon changedl back as it was actually a PITA. If the cable is short enough to make the idea work then the connector is too close and gets in the way. Long enough for it not to be an issue and you may as well not have bothered.

My bugbare with cables, (quality aside)both attached to the tool and on extension leads, is that they are always black, which is so stupid. in either a professional or amatuer environment, a trailing lead is a safety hazard, and so should be bright and visable, B and D used to (still do?) have nice orange cables, and I've got a masterplug splashproof extension reel that is a nice lime green, but everything else is a nice uniform, invisable black. An excellent choice left trailing on the floor attatched to a powered blade!!!.

most of my corded tools have 25 ft long orange cables.

car boots are a good source of long lengths that once used to power a long dead cheap flymo!!

I hate having to use extension leads where ever possible

most of my corded tools have 25 ft long orange cables.

car boots are a good source of long lengths that once used to power a long dead cheap flymo!!

I hate having to use extension leads where ever possible

Check they have an earth wire, some were two core only. I realise the vast majority of power tools today are double insulated but in some cases an earth wire is needed.

Here's the one that I have built (and referred to in an earlier post).

The bit at the far rear of the boom holds a load of lead roll. This is needed because the boom arm is pretty heavy and needs to be counterbalanced. The centre of rotation is immediately below the 13A sockets mounted vertically. The strange box affair supports the pivot and helps to minimise twist.

If it had been mounted onto a wall, the hinge and support bracket would have had to have been beefy enough to support that weight instead.

The power tool dust extractor is far in the distance, the silver pipe goes down to an NV750 and is 11m in length.
20210321_162950.jpg

This is what I use for power tool strorage; Look what I've found at IKEA - trofast comination
1. The cable just goes in the box along with the tool, no winding up etc.
2. Any accessories with the tool also stay in the box.
3. The whole box with contents can be removed and taken to the job

Edit: IKEA put those words in the link not me !
That is a good idea and you can get lids.

We've turned up no matches for "trofast comination
It's a link and I said in my post that IKEA put the words there not me. I've just tried the link and it works.
If you don't want to click on the link then go to the IKEA website and search for "TROFAST COMBINATION"

It's a link and I said in my post that IKEA put the words there not me. I've just tried the link and it works.
If you don't want to click on the link then go to the IKEA website and search for "TROFAST COMBINATION"
I did click the link a number of times and that was the message I received.

Funny though it's working today.

No need to shout. :)

I made one of those, works really well. Most of my stuff is Festool so the plug-it lead makes it really easy to swap between tools. I added a plug-it socket to my Makita sander to make that work with "the system".

View attachment 106375
Where did you get the Festool "plug-it" socket from ? sounds like an excellent solution for woodworkers who are "mainly-Festool".

Back