power to my workshop

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mac1012

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi i am in unfortunate position of not having a permanent supply to my workshop for two reasons i is that next year i am going to buy a larger shed nearer my house which will cut down the cost of laying the supply to the house number 2 is the cost of having it installed i have been given the price of 500 plus as laying the pipe under concrete and tarmac the house from existing shed is 15 to 20 metres

now before anybody gets on their soapbox about this , i wanted to explain the short term solution i will think work

i have brought some heavy duty cable reels will rdc protectors and are bright orange easy visible cable , i am runninng from kitchen window into the shed and apart from the last couple of feet it is of the floor running over a smaller shed roof into kitchen window neither the 4 socket end or the socket in the house are anywhere near any water so i figured this will be a short term fix until next year

i was looking at the mains cable that goes from my meter box and some of that runs along the wall without any outer protection

i am aware of the dangers of water and electricity and i am not stupid so i have come up with this set up although not ideal i think it will get me through the winter after all it is far more safer than the set up i have had for the past two years !!

i just wondered if anyother guys have this problem or has everyone on here got a permanent supply ?

Any thoughts , advice, tips would be valued

please dont reply highlighting paragraphs from what i have written as i will not reply to these

it annoys me and i dont think it is necessary as i know what i have written so you dont have to highlight it or remind me !!

al the best mark
Mark

I will be laying underground cable soon but for the last 12 years or so I have been doing pretty much what you are suggesting and it has been permanently plugged in for all that time regardless of the weather. The leccies amongst us will no doubt shudder but it has worked well enough.
You will probably get the same issue I get though, every time I start a machine the lights dim for a second :)

As an aside..... people including part of what you say in quotes are probably just emphasizing the part of the conversation they are referring to, as much for others benefit as yours.

ok thanks for that good to know some one else has been using a method like me , i not had the issue of lights dimming but then my machines are not big , i looking at maybe getting some armoured cable and running along the fence in some track and getting an electrician to put some sockets in the shed and fix to my fuse box. and do what they need to do , ive read you can install above ground provided it done properly (electrics arent my strong point)

what sort of cable was outside for twelve years ? and how did you have the sockets connected in your work shop ? and connected into the house to be able to leave it there ? only asking so that i might do something similar until i get it done properly

thanks mark

I used to have an overground/ariel supply to my workshop/garage ...... the window cleaner hated it. It is now in a 50mm plastic waste pipe buried.
xy

12 years or so ago, before all the new regulations ( maybe ) I brought a roll of ordinary flat cable to wire up some extra sockets into the house ring main. I used what was left of that. I joined it into the wiring of an 'outhouse' built on the side of the house ( part of the main house design and sharing its electrics ) so it became a spur off the main system, out under the eves and part suspended, part attached to walls, took it down to the workshop and around the walls with 5 double sockets spaced out. Lights are in the roof but just plugged into one of the sockets.

As I say, it has worked, and is still working but I do not offer this as a recommendation. I am merely saying that that is what I did. It makes me nervous now and I will be laying out for armoured cable and an electrician to wire it to a proper fuse box etc as soon as the next tuit comes round.

ok graham i wouldnt have a clue where to start any way like i said i using rdc cables that i put away after finishing

but would like to sort something permanent when i can afford it .

i going to pick and electricians brains next week

and yes graham i get your point about people highlighting other peoples comments which is fine in a positive way but what really gets me is say like we have been having this conversation on here about electrics and then after about 8 posts someone would steam in and say for example highlight my comment about using a cable reel and then come over a bit smug and condescending about why i shouldnt be doing that and not have anything positive to say , now that type of thing really does hacks me off.

and yes graham i get your point about people highlighting other peoples comments which is fine in a positive way but what really gets me is say like we have been having this conversation on here about electrics and then after about 8 posts someone would steam in and say for example highlight my comment about using a cable reel and then come over a bit smug and condescending about why i shouldnt be doing that and not have anything positive to say , now that type of thing really does hacks me off.

mac1012":1rl8bx3f said:

So what you are saying is, if the advice you get agrees with what you have already decided to do, then thats fine. But if someone where to point out the potential danger or flaw in your plan then that "hacks you off". I guess you can't help someone who won't help themselves, good luck I think you're going to need it.

mac1012":2d1yhw9d said:
Hi i am in unfortunate position of not having a permanent supply to my workshop..........blah,blah...............i just wondered if anyother guys have this problem or has everyone on here got a permanent supply ?
Any thoughts , advice, tips would be valued
please dont reply highlighting paragraphs from what i have written as
it annoys me and i dont think it is necessary as i know what i have written so you dont have to highlight it or remind me !!
al the best mark
Mark

Yeah the quoting is because it's a forum and answers good or bad are for anyone interested to chew over not a private help service. So now I've given you the pineapple by quoting you (homer) I have a nice permanent supply, heavy cable, fuse marked "Garage" it lies under the dining room floor laughing at me.
So my temporary fix (for the last 9 years) Long length of "Arctic" cable run in plastic conduit run through kitchen wall, 13 amp plug in kitchen hooked up to ancient fuse box in garage. Lights and double socket with the rest of the extension lead (from whence I obtained the cable) plugs into one outlet and 4 gang extension in the other (the sort behind the average TV) won't tell you about the lights dimming because you already know.
Should probably add a disclaimer like "Don't try this at home" or "Get the bill payers permission" so I did. :idea:

congratulations guys youve just given two examples of what hacks me off highligting comments and then negative response well done for the examples =D>

In your text above you used the word "fusebox"

Or do you really mean Consumer Unit. ( Fuse boxes are really out of date and not the best way of conveying power these days.)

Richard S":3kpunrk7 said:
mac1012":3kpunrk7 said:

So what you are saying is, if the advice you get agrees with what you have already decided to do, then thats fine. But if someone where to point out the potential danger or flaw in your plan then that "hacks you off". I guess you can't help someone who won't help themselves, good luck I think you're going to need it.

+1.

What 'hacks' me off is someone asking for help and then telling me how I should/should not present any advice. Thanks, but I'll pass.

RogerS":18lr4mai said:
Richard S":18lr4mai said:
mac1012":18lr4mai said:

+1.

What 'hacks' me off is someone asking for help and then telling me how I should/should not present any advice. Thanks, but I'll pass.

+1

and no i can take constructive critism in a right way , to me there is a wrong way which is yours eg random posts focusing on anything negative.

like yours ......

anyway i not replying to any of more of your posts if i wanted this kind of conversation i will join twitter i remain the right to say how i see it and so do you i can accept constuctive crtitism and helpfull advice, sometimes they are neither

I think my point has been made by the almost complete lack of "advice" you have received to your question. I must say that my tongue was in my cheek when I made my post although I stand by its content. You must admit you put temptation in my way with the comments that you made and I couldn't resist.
There is a serious side to my response though and that is a matter of manners, of which you appear to me to be completely lacking. I would say that this is generally a friendly place to be. I have on occassion asked for advice, in the main it has been freely given, most of it informative and considered though some of it ill-considered or incorrect. The point is I asked and would not be so rude as to tell the less helpful / knowledgeable contributors not to bother. Good manners means you thank everyone but you need only act on the relevant information. I think you will find you get a better response to your questions if you adopt an attitude with a little humility in it.
I say again "you can't help the fool who won't help himself". Respond or not, like you I shall not be losing any sleep over it.

Back