Power files? Any advice / experience please?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pe2dave

Established Member
Reaction score
Belt sanders, power files, whatever you want to call them.
I'm thinking of the half inch ones, not 5".

Any recommendations / avoid / good for ..... experience please?

I have just had a power file from Evolution Power Tools it works well keeps tracked, you can slow it down by being a little heavy handed but it has worked well for me on aluminium and wood.

..I got a cheapie "Silverline" of Amazon for about £30 (at the time, now £50!!)..and I would not be without it. Does not get a lot of use, but when you need one, you need one. For me a no brainer...

There are also adaptors that fit onto a grinder, giving you the same kind of tool

I have just had a power file from Evolution Power Tools it works well keeps tracked, you can slow it down by being a little heavy handed but it has worked well for me on aluminium and wood.

Ditto - I've only used mine on wood.

I bought a Silverline model off Ebay about 18 months ago. It was £39.99 then. For example, see:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/312142283145
I bought it for just one job - filing (adjusting) the mortice in a 3 (4?) mm thick steel door frame. The mortice was a pocket, so no room to use a conventional file. It performed flawlwssly, even though it was running from a 500W inverter connected to a car battery! Belts are easy to get, but I haven't started the spares yet as I'm still on the original that came with the "file"! Not much of a test, but I'm keeping it as you never know when...

HTH

Black & Decker 350W Powerfile Belt Sander 240V I purchased a black & decker about 5 years ago when it was on offer at about half the price it is now only used a few times but found it to be very efficient and dust collection was surprisingly good but disappointed that it only came in a cardboard box after getting used to a lot of tools supplied in a plastic case.

I got one of the first Black & Decker ones a long time ago, very good though the motor mounted on the side means its awkward to use in some places. I have had a newer B&D one, just as good. Only drawback is the arms are pot metal & will bend if you knock them about.
I have a Sealey one that appears to be the same design as the Silverline, hopefully better made! So far its been great & its slimline design & swiveling arm mean it can get in anywhere, Its adjustable speed range is far slower at the bottom end so great for fine work.
As for the angle grinder attachments, they are utter rubbish. Tried one once, way too fast to the point of being dangerous & like most attachments poorly made. Dont bother.

I also have the B&D "Powerfile" as linked above by chris.s. I really do believe the name really is a red herring as you cannot - at least I cannot - get the same accuracy, flatness/squareness as I can when using a proper hand file. Apart from anything else, the side-mounted motor, and the overall balance of the tool prevents it being used as one would a proper hand file.

OTOH, there are some jobs that you just can't get into with a proper file, and mine does remove material at a reasonable rate in such (rare?) cases. The tracking/tensioning stays reasonably on target, belt life is OK, and belts are a reasonable price (both the narrow and wide ones - I have total 3 arms, and mine did come in a blow-moulded case - it that's imprtant. The pot metal arms are perhaps a bit on the weak side, but handled with care it's OK (back into it's case after use).

Not something that would really class as a professional tool (like those seen in vehicle body shops, etc) but for the hobbyist/DIY-er needing to "get in there" on difficult jobs now and then, IMO, it's OK.

When making some bedroom furniture from 4cm waney edged elm I wanted to make a feature of the natural edge. At first I used a spokeshave, a rasp and sandpaper, but found getting a fairly smooth finish took a long time and was very hard work. A friend recommended and loaned me a Black & Decker powerfile which worked wonders. It removed wood at an extraordinary rate so care had to be taken but overall it was very effective. Unlike Chris.s, I found the dust collection system poor so only used it outdoors. I subsequently bought the same model and still use it from time to time on waney edges and other natural wood shapes which I want to smooth or polish. Cheers IA

Belt sanders, power files, whatever you want to call them.
I'm thinking of the half inch ones, not 5".

Any recommendations / avoid / good for ..... experience please?
As @pdf and others have said, I've had good experience of the silverline 260w. bought it 3 years ago for a job that needed a to get in a tight corner and couldn't get a file or sandper in. It cost £29.99 then, the same one form Mr Bezzos is currently out of stock at £33 and I see the bey is £40.
It has variable speed and is easy to use/control. I don't use it a lot, its easy to leave accidental grooves on wood, so not a substitute for proper sanding, for for mortices and tight spaces I think its excellent. Still on the original belt. I'm glad its in the armory of tools as its been handy on a few jobs.

Bradshaw Joinery seems to like his and has made a nice little dust extraction add on for it, not sure what brand it is (possibly Makita) won't be a cheap one though!

Video should start at right time.

I also have a Silverline 260W one, which at the time was £27. It's feels very chintzy but has worked well for everything I've used it on (mostly metal).

Back