Power Chisel

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srs

Established Member
Reaction score
I've got a job lined up, or it would be more truthful to say the wife has decided..... this is going to involve a removing a lot of wood, basically its going to be a 4 ft long piece of oak about 2 ft wide carved with a celtic knotwork patten, So i was wondering if anyone has any experience of power chisels espically the Arbotech one and whether it would stand up to a lot of oak as the thought of doing it by hand does put me off a bit.

Cheers

Simon

arbortechs will stand up to removing a lot of oak no bother - but it will still take a while - i'd say a chainsaw with a carving bar fitted would be your best bet

Simon,
You don't tell us the size of the pattern but a chainsaw sounds like overkill to me. If you are working with green oak you may find a couple of big gouges and a mallet enough, or something like a Bosch reciprocating carver. Equally an arbortech can be used surprisingly delicately - but stay away from your pattern's lines...

waterhead37":37oe059k said:
Simon,
You don't tell us the size of the pattern but a chainsaw sounds like overkill to me. If you are working with green oak you may find a couple of big gouges and a mallet enough, or something like a Bosch reciprocating carver. Equally an arbortech can be used surprisingly delicately - but stay away from your pattern's lines...

for carving the pattern i absolutely agree - my idea was that the chainsaw be used for rough work to remove the bulk of the waste first then the actually carving be done as you suggest

Back