Power Carving

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wizer

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys

Big Three Zero approaching and I'm trying to think of something that I want that will last. I've always wanted to try power carving. Has anyone got the Foredom Power Carver? It's a lot of money, especially if you want the reciprocating tool holder. But I'd rather buy (or be bought) once than get, say the Proxxon, and want to upgrade later. Is the Proxxon easy to hold? It doesn't look like it.

I notice on the Foredom site they do a speed controller that sits on the bench rather than foot controlled which I'd prefer, but it seems not to be available in the UK. I wonder if the foot pedal could be modified?

Your thoughts appreciated.

i also bought the axminster flexi shaft and carving set after seeing Mick Hanbury demo at our club, i have not turned anything worth carving yet, have you Tom? :wink:

I think mark.s has the foredom- i have the proxon carver and really like it- i also have a mini and max abortech which are very good.

No, that's a good point Steve, but I'd like to when I do.

The main attraction of the Foredom is that it will take larger shank bits.

The Axminster kit looks like a good deal but then I have a dremel so I could get the flexi shaft and carving piece.

George, I take it you use the proxxon in your hand? Do you find it heavy or awkward to manoeuvre?

Could I be cheeky and ask someone to bring their carving kit to the bash so I can take a quick peek?

Tom,
I have the Dremel moto flex.
It is similar to the Foredom in that it hangs from a stand or ceiling hook with a long flex drive with a hand piece and takes 1/4" bits and foot controlled.
(But much cheaper) Unfortunately I think it's out of production.
However, you're welcome to drop over and try it out to see if you like it enough to get a foredom.
I also have a Ryobe reciprocating carver you might want to try as well.
Oh, and I also use the small dremel :lol: :roll:

I'll pm you my number if you want to take it up.

John. B

wizer":2nc35zkz said:
Hi Guys

Big Three Zero approaching and I'm trying to think of something that I want that will last. I've always wanted to try power carving. Has anyone got the Foredom Power Carver? It's a lot of money, especially if you want the reciprocating tool holder. But I'd rather buy (or be bought) once than get, say the Proxxon, and want to upgrade later. Is the Proxxon easy to hold? It doesn't look like it.

I notice on the Foredom site they do a speed controller that sits on the bench rather than foot controlled which I'd prefer, but it seems not to be available in the UK. I wonder if the foot pedal could be modified?

Your thoughts appreciated.

I there

I have a Fordom as George said. I got mine second hand as they are pricey new. It is very good but have been told by others including Mick Hanbury who does a lot of piercing that the Fordom rotates a bit too slow for this sort of work. Mine rotates at 20,000 rpm and I believe the dremel which he uses is around 40,000.

I do not do any piecing so the speed for me is not such an issue and have to say the fordom is very good.

But I can not honestly say that for the extra money it is that much better.

I would go for one with a foot peddle as this is brilliant as I can control the speed on mine while sitting down.

You do get obviously what you pay for with tool. But unless you are looking to use a tool every day then it may be better to buy the dremel.

Just don;t buy one of these cheap ones from the local DIY store. I have two of them and they both burnt out within a couple of months.

I hope this helps. Don 't know where you are based but if are near me you can always drop in and give the fordom a go if you want. Mine is around 8 years old second hand. But you are welcome.

Thanks everyone. I've been mulling this over and what I think I'm going to do is buy the flexi attachment and carving attachment for my dremel. This will be a cheap way to get me some exposure into power carving and then I can make an informed decision on the Foredom. I'd quite like to do piercing too which means I'd have to import a higher model foredom if I wanted to go that route. So I'll wait til I've worked out if I'm any good at it first.

Back