Potting Bench Advice

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jonathan S

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all, Im looking for some advice on a commission Im working on to build an Outdoor Potting Bench in Timber, The bench will ideally have 2 dovetailed draws boxes with false fronts and under-mount runners.View attachment Potting Bench 2020_6_3.pdf
The location is Southern Spain so not much rain, its on a east elevation so morning sun which is partially shaded by pine trees.
Originally my client had seen something made in Iroko with a galvanised steel top, the steel top is out of the question in this location as summer sun turns the metal top into a hot plate.
A stone or marble top has been ruled out because of ascetics....so its a wooden top.
Im thinking Ex 52mm Iroko with an oiled finish, but Im open to other options..... Accoya is not available locally, Sipo is a possibility and which works ok in this location.....
Your words of wisdom please!

Attachments

• Potting Bench 2020_6_3.pdf
    213.6 KB · Views: 47
Hopefully the images will show up here
ed7a3c01481ff344c1ea4bf3eac3131e.jpg
ba4f0c4f9e11b352bbb06d3ae0a8e04c.jpg

Sent from my SM-J530F using Tapatalk

no comment on the materials, but if you don't mind a comment on the design: I ended up raising my potting bench well above the 'normal' bench height of around 3ft to avoid bending down when pricking out seedlings, spreading out seeds etc (mind you, I suffer from all the normal tribulations of age, bad eyes/back etc - perhaps your client is younger!).

I also added a section with up-stands on the side and back where I could dump a pile of compost (very convenient for scooping compost into the pots).

nabs......thanks for your insight....this project isn't for me personally, the design was a client (botanist) and garden designer collaboration.
The hole in the worktop will have a plastic bowl to take the compost.
I just have to make the thing....I have never made outdoor Iroko furniture before and was hoping someone on here had some words of wisdom regard some of the details eg a solid Iroko top 800mm wide and its stability......

What gives the leftmost legs any support/stability from an unintended knock with a wheelbarrow or similar? Or am I missing a jointing technnique that you could share with us newbies please?

I would have expected a back/sides to keep the compost in check, but I'm a very messy amateur in so many ways, including woodwork and gardening - so what would I know.

Is there a 'fall' to the wood to help water to run off, or will it just sit there?.

Beanwood":1b9s711f said:
What gives the leftmost legs any support/stability from an unintended knock with a wheelbarrow or similar? Or am I missing a jointing technnique that you could share with us newbies please?

I would have expected a back/sides to keep the compost in check, but I'm a very messy amateur in so many ways, including woodwork and gardening - so what would I know.

Is there a 'fall' to the wood to help water to run off, or will it just sit there?.

Valid points Beamwood thanks....the left legs will have a small top apron and the front leg will be fixed at the bottom to the floor....I'm unable to change the designers drawings as I'm completely incapable with tech stuff.....I have to learn!

I like you did recommend a worktop upstand but they didn't see the need.....in all fairness the client is a very tidy female and the bench won't be used full time as it's a holiday home.

I was thinking a 10 or 15 mm fall on the worktops.

Looking at the drawings, I'd imagined this was a framework of box section steel, welded together, with some flat worktops on. That could be more reliable outdoors in hot sun. The top could be attached using screws in slots to allow for movement and if it did fail could be replaced easily.
You could possibly get the framework made in stainless by a commercial kitchen fitter.

Back