Pot & Vase

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimG

Little Woodworm
Reaction score
I made the little pot as a sort of "proof of concept" using the Jo Sonja range of acrylic paints, these are the irridescent ones, I was inspired to try these by Dalboy who used them to such exceptional effect on a recent bowl, I think it worked OK, so thanks loads Derek!! :)

The pot is about 3.5 inches tall and spray lacquer finish to a high gloss.

Rachpot-1.png

Rachpot-2.png

The vase which is made from oak was used as a demo piece to show dissimilar colouring and shellac application techniques for the south west wales woodturners club in October.

The vase is about 7" tall and was pretty difficult to photograph so as to show the colour well, so the exposure is a bit lighter in number 2 to try and show it a little better.

Blue-Oak-1.png

Blue-Oak-2.png

Blue-Oak-3.png

Blue-Oak-4.png

Think we will have to start calling you 'Mister Colour' you certainly seem to have the knack of getting the blends right and envisioning the overall effect once finished with the high gloss.
Any attempt at subtlety I try usually looks like its been dipped in a slurry pit.

Personally not so keen on the Pot lid, looks a little too robust for the base for me but full marks for the matching colour blend across the two pieces.

The Vase has some interesting visual statements when looked at closely, the colour blends across differing grain orientations show quite a variation, looking at the base structure of the Oak underlying again shows all the grain orientation variations in its own right. don't know how many of those observations would occur if just viewing as a whole at reasonable viewing distance as opposed to an image.

I guess the immediate impression would be 'I like that' if seen on a display shelf, being decorative & of practical usable proportions as opposed a 'look how clever I am to worm my way into the smallest hole' type thing.

The pot is an oddity Chas, I had just got the paints and wanted to see how they "worked" so I grabbed an off-cut and turned a shape, this was the lid, it looked good enough to keep so then I had to design a pot around it! :D hence the rather unusual shape/dimension etc, it was in effect made in reverse, but yeah, if i was designing one I think the lid would be a little finer.

Photographing stuff in daylight is even harder to light as you have shadows to deal with but I have done in the past, but not today, it's blustery and cold! (I would have to go outside to do it, window light is too directional.)

Lovely vase Kim. These works are so often over-worked with colour and finish, obscuring the character of the wood. I like the way the pores of the oak trace across the polished surface and are not totally filled. Still aspiring to this quality.
I can understand your approach on the pot as an experimental piece. To my mind these iridescent opaque finishes are already becoming a cliché and can relegate work into craftroom/mdf territory. Others will disagree I'm sure. Would love to hear more opinions expressed here.

ATB Bob

bobajobob":ls2wnbnr said:
...... To my mind these iridescent opaque finishes are already becoming a cliché and can relegate work into craftroom/mdf territory. Others will disagree I'm sure. Would love to hear more opinions expressed here.
I think this is where design and homage to the character or the highlighting of the base material come into place, takes items as far away from the mass produced spray painted objects as possible.

I'm of a like mind to Chas on this, sure some things can become "commonplace" but it depends on the form and the application, just how inventive is the piece. On top of that, although I enjoy the comments here and the critique too, I don't primarily make this stuff for turners to look at, I make it for the public to buy, in that sense, if it looks good enough, they generally enjoy it enough to pay for it, for me that is motivation enough to give anything a go, no matter how old it may seem in the eyes of my fellow turners.

Both are great especially the finish which I expect from you Kim Love the first effect very subtle with the colour. The only thing is the lid I feel it would have looked better without the bead effect but that is just me.

I don't primarily make this stuff for turners to look at, I make it for the public to buy, in that sense, if it looks good enough, they generally enjoy it enough to pay for it, for me that is motivation enough to give anything a go, no matter how old it may seem in the eyes of my fellow turners."

That's a very valid point and respected by a hobby turner but this is not a shop window. Displaying work here is an invitation for comment and is the primary reason for doing it. A positive response from advocates of a particular style or process is always inevitable but we are participating in a forum, where a balance of opinions should be equally welcome. Nuff said!

ATB Bob

bobajobob":3ttldfo2 said:
I don't primarily make this stuff for turners to look at, I make it for the public to buy, in that sense, if it looks good enough, they generally enjoy it enough to pay for it, for me that is motivation enough to give anything a go, no matter how old it may seem in the eyes of my fellow turners."

That's a very valid point and respected by a hobby turner but this is not a shop window. Displaying work here is an invitation for comment and is the primary reason for doing it. A positive response from advocates of a particular style or process is always inevitable but we are participating in a forum, where a balance of opinions should be equally welcome. Nuff said!

ATB Bob

Not quite sure what point you feel you are making there bobajobob, it seems though to be berating me somewhat for my comment, and as such i think you have misunderstood it's intent, I was not complaining in any way, I am also very well aware that this is not a shop window, I have my shop window on Etsy. I have been doing this for long enough to know the last person who is likely to buy anything turned is another turner, so the prime reason I post in here is to share my ideas and creations and to enjoy the comments, whether positive or negative, as I have been here long enough to know most of the regulars in the way you "know" people online (i.e. I wouldn't know 98% from Adam if I met them unless they introduced themselves) so I feel completely comfortable in the forum environment of UK Workshop.
So, my comment was in response to the first comment that using irridescent colours was now "old hat", and so it may be, but that doesn't make me want to not use it, or show what can be done with it in here, because, although I make the stuff for the public, I do however, like to show it here, and as such I was in effect explaining that, not complaining.

I don't need a lecture, however brief, on the purpose, format or possible outcomes to making a post on an internet forum, I got that one down pat.

Back