Pot, Bowl or Bell?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scooby

Established Member
Reaction score
Not sure...

Attachments

• IMG_0282.jpg
    IMG_0282.jpg
    223.7 KB · Views: 56
Very elegant, what also impresses me is the quality of jointing the pieces it is turned from. Any chance of a before and after view?

Thanks for the comments.

Cooper, unfortunately I didn't take any photos whilst I was making. As for the cutting, I know a lot of the youtubers use crosscut sleds on tables saws, I just used a chop saw.
My chop saw is a early 90's Elu, its ok but I used my dad's Bosch (the one with the articulated arm). I know chop saws aren't the most accurate things, but that saw on the 22.5 degree detent makes pretty good joints for 8 segments.

I made a jig with a sliding stop and a moveable toggle clamp so I could get the most out of the timber and keep my fingers safe. The clamp also stops the trapped piece (between blade and stop) from binding and being launched.

For assembly, I copied a video from YouTube. Its just a series of circles with holes drilled at 45 degree increments for dowels ( I used nails because I'm lazy). It allows you to fit a band round the nails, you glue and fit your segments in the band circle and then you just release the band on opposite sides. Grease proof paper on the board before the nails so the segments don't stick to the board.

Attachments

• IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0284.jpg
    IMG_0284.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 15
As I said most impressive.
I made a jig with a sliding stop and a moveable toggle clamp so I could get the most out of the timber and keep my fingers safe.

Your comments about keeping your fingers safe took me back to my first job after Art school in the design dept. of a toy factory, nearly 50 years ago. I had to use an over arm Dewalt saw to cut miters on 20 X12 mm section Beech that finished at about 100mm long. I had to hold the wood to the fence with my fingers and the blade was whizzing above my finger tips. I break out in a cold sweat just remembering it.

As I said most impressive.

Your comments about keeping your fingers safe took me back to my first job after Art school in the design dept. of a toy factory, nearly 50 years ago. I had to use an over arm Dewalt saw to cut miters on 20 X12 mm section Beech that finished at about 100mm long. I had to hold the wood to the fence with my fingers and the blade was whizzing above my finger tips. I break out in a cold sweat just remembering it.

In my younger 'thinking I was bulletproof' days, I put myself in situations where my fingers were getting uncomfortably close. I'm a tad more intelligent ( a tad!) and a whole lot more cautious now.
The fence opening on the Bosch is so big that you can't cut small pieces safely anyways, as they'd get rotated away from the fence. Bringing your fingers even closer. You need a zero clearance backer anyways, so the clamp was an obvious idea.

Latest posts

Back