postulate?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GEPPETTO

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

While I am writing it's rainy and there are some lightnings outdoor. It's a very bad day (meteorologically speaking) but perhaps it's good for a thought I done yesterday evening. :roll:
I explain it.....naturally it is always around to the wood.....

I tried to flatten a small surface as the side of my wooden mallet about 12 cm with my #4 and #5. It has been very laborious, I was not able to plan nothing although the surface at a check with a rule was flat. It has only been possible extending the blade much because I think, I didn't be able to bring the plane in plan because the short surface.

Therefore thinking and rethinking why it occured I have arrived to a conclusion: for a short surface we need a small plane, and for a long surface we need of a long plane in sense that a plane needs of a surface which is longer than length between the toe and the heel. :?: :idea:

Is it true, or I am a bad "handplanner" ?? :(

Hi Gabriele,

I think you're right - you need a good match between the surface of the plane and the surface of the wood you're working. When you put a long plane to a short surface it will always have a tendency to rock

For something that small, a block plane would be better, I think.

Pete (also postulating :))

Hi Gabriele,

Postulating Pete is postulating properly :lol: Sorry, couldn't stop myself from writing that.

Planing, or even many other woodworking tasks, often involve making choices about how to accomplish a given task.

Gabriele, your thinking about selecting planes according to the size of the work is a good observation. Sometimes, for something I have not made before like a proper mallet, feel free to experiment to achieve the results you want.

A block plane would have been a good choice. Also after initial shaping a rasp might have been a good tool to try.

I'm pleased and proud after praise for proper postulation :)

(I promise I'll stop now :))

Back