Posting to Australia?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calpol

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been asked to send a book to Australia but I've never sent anything further than the UK, so can anyone tell me what's involved and likely costs?

Thanks a'body :D

Hi,

Just remember to stick the address lable on upside down so it gets there they can read it :wink:

Pete

The big question is how long do you want it to take to get there?

If it goes Airmail it will be expensive.......probably as much as or more than the book cost!...........but surface mail (ship) which can take 6 weeks or so, will probably only cost £5 or £8 or so. The post office people will give you all the options.

Mike

You'll need to affix a Customs Declaration to the package (supplied at the Post Office). Air mail is not as bad as you might think, but it all depends on the weight of the book, of course. I wouldn't hesitate to send a paperback airmail, but the hardback copy of Who's Who might be a different matter! :)

Ray

Sounds like a bit of a farce! The book only costs a tenner and a new one is only about 20 bucks...

Hi.

I've sent a smallish parcel to the states before using this Post Office site. You can pay for it online as well as fill out the customs form. Don't even need to go to the Post Office.

Think mine cost £5 ish for a 500g parcel.

HTH.

Bryn :)

Is the title available at amazon.com? Is it worth trying to use their shipping option to Australia instead?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/ ... Id=596190&

As for posting stuff using Royal Mail, make sure you pay the correct postage for the size and weight of the item. As for advice using Royal Mail, I'd ask them yourself personally and not make any assumptions - otherwise it may never get there!!!

It will get there but how many people will have read it by then??Snail mail is just that...air mail is a lot faster....make sure you says its a gift outerwise a lot of taxes are envolved.You may want to read up on the different postage options.

RogerM":2i5czhrm said:
If the book is not already bought, why not buy it from an Australian online seller and save the international postage.
More or less what I said; better than taking anecdotal advice on methods of posting.

Grinding One":37cqz5gz said:
It will get there but how many people will have read it by then??Snail mail is just that...air mail is a lot faster....make sure you says its a gift outerwise a lot of taxes are envolved.You may want to read up on the different postage options.

most 'surface' mail goes by air, its just held back til the cheapest empiest flights are going (as it flies on the same planes as you go on holiday on), whereas airmal flies out asap and so pays a premium

Back