Members can turn off viewing Ads!

Posting in the for sale section

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Andy_Striker

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Following with interest, I hope you will have shipping options :cool:

But sad that you have to clear it out...
Not sad really. We are selling the house downsizing and moving to a less populated area and my wife will retire 3 years earlier. We don't have big pensions or a big house but just want to enjoy what we have. Covid and health helps focus on whats important(y)

As for shipping, thats up to the buyer. Aways happy to help out and make it happen.

I may have to list it on here soon as I still cannot get on the For Sale section ;)

Beanwood

Established Member
Reaction score
So what will you be selling? Big stuff? Small stuff?
Careful what you sell - there are lots of things that you'll need to fix/make when you get the new place, with all that time on your hands, and replacement cost will undoubtedly be more than you make from selling if you have to replace sold items.

Andy_Striker

UKW Supporter
Reaction score
So what will you be selling? Big stuff? Small stuff?
Careful what you sell - there are lots of things that you'll need to fix/make when you get the new place, with all that time on your hands, and replacement cost will undoubtedly be more than you make from selling if you have to replace sold items.
I'm keeping all my hand tools and selling the machines I have. Sliding Table saw MiniMax, Band saw, spindle moulder, kity 637 planer thicknesser.

Angie

Administrator
Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Try posting there now. Sorry for the delay in checking it out and updating a setting.

rafezetter

Troll Hunter
Reaction score
That's a really good point - IIRC UKGSER (The motorcycle group I belong to) only allows you to SEE the for sale/wanted section(s) if you're a subscriber. You can read and add to the rest of the forum though.

There's a business model there for you @Angie ;)
oh well done Beanwood - been a member for 9 years, posted just 113 times and suggests every member that wants to sell has to PAY to do it.

One of the biggest reasons why people sell on UKW is that it's going to other woodworkers, and as such things are often sold at LOWER than market value, or has little value and is sold for the cost of postage and a donation to a charity.

Stick a fee on that and a LOT of that will stop, so people will either just junk the "worthless to non woodworkers" items as the aggro of post and packing isn't worth their time, or they will move the sales to the places where the items sell for more money to offset the risks and aggro of those marketplaces.

I've spoken to several of the members no longer using this forum and most of them echo that the "for sale" part was one they are going to miss using and having the benefit of the most, for the exact reasons I've laid out; tools that have been looked after at less than top dollar and occasional very generous FTAGH items.

It would be a big mistake to monetise that part of the forum and I beleive will contribute to the forum losing even more longterm members.

Exluthier

Established Member
Reaction score
Avoid selling at live auctions if you can. When I retired, I closed the workshop and shipped all of my general woodworking tools and equipment to a well-known tools auctioneers. It was a disaster; they bundled all of the valuable items in just the same way they did the boxes of (for instance) violin bridge blanks, and I saw some very old and collectible planes (including a LN scraping plane) jumbled into a job lot under the title ‘assorted planes’. Even on-line selling is better than that.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
oh well done Beanwood - been a member for 9 years, posted just 113 times and suggests every member that wants to sell has to PAY to do it.

One of the biggest reasons why people sell on UKW is that it's going to other woodworkers, and as such things are often sold at LOWER than market value, or has little value and is sold for the cost of postage and a donation to a charity.

Stick a fee on that and a LOT of that will stop, so people will either just junk the "worthless to non woodworkers" items as the aggro of post and packing isn't worth their time, or they will move the sales to the places where the items sell for more money to offset the risks and aggro of those marketplaces.

I've spoken to several of the members no longer using this forum and most of them echo that the "for sale" part was one they are going to miss using and having the benefit of the most, for the exact reasons I've laid out; tools that have been looked after at less than top dollar and occasional very generous FTAGH items.

It would be a big mistake to monetise that part of the forum and I beleive will contribute to the forum losing even more longterm members.
Let me be clear...established members will never be required to pay a fee in order to participate in the For Sale forum. New members who do not want to wait for the 25-post minimum have the option of paying to be a UKW Supporter and can immediately post in the For Sale forum.