Postal problems to France

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bedrock22

Reaction score
Slightly unrelated, but a couple of times recently, we have had issues with parcels being sent either within the UK, or post-Brexit to France.

The first was a refusal to accept a parcel which was a Record plane part, with a blade. It was the inclusion of the blade which resulted in a refusal to accept for postage. The second was a repaired second hand handbag which was returned without any explanation or refund of the £7-odd postage cost. No idea whether it bounced this side of the Channel or the other. It's now more relevant as I want to give a spare No.4 Record to a young man in France who is keen to start woodworking.

Anyone else had similar problems? Can't see the difference between me posting or a tool trading company like Axminster who presumably do this all the time.

Interesting that the blade is a problem. The contractor that ebay uses will seize record planes coming from the UK, and stole a norris plane of mine (they do repay you for the auction cost, but they seize the offending item and then auction it off themselves). Their reasoning is the wood. That's true on the norris plane - technically it should get paperwork proving that the wood is pre-restriction, and the same for rosewood plane handles.

They also seize the beech ones, though, based on the color. There's no ability to contest or review - you just lose the item. If you got a great deal (as I did on a norris 2), it doesn't matter - it's gone - you get the great deal money back. Fair enough on the reimburse, but a stinky outcome sometimes.

If you send something with rosewood, I wouldn't be surprised to see it rejected due to cites, but it may also just be seized and not returned.

I think your best bet is to call them (whatever the french postal service is) and see if they would've accepted the blade if you blunted it to 90 degrees.

Interesting that the blade is a problem. The contractor that ebay uses will seize record planes coming from the UK, and stole a norris plane of mine (they do repay you for the auction cost, but they seize the offending item and then auction it off themselves). Their reasoning is the wood. That's true on the norris plane - technically it should get paperwork proving that the wood is pre-restriction, and the same for rosewood plane handles.

They also seize the beech ones, though, based on the color. There's no ability to contest or review - you just lose the item. If you got a great deal (as I did on a norris 2), it doesn't matter - it's gone - you get the great deal money back. Fair enough on the reimburse, but a stinky outcome sometimes.

If you send something with rosewood, I wouldn't be surprised to see it rejected due to cites, but it may also just be seized and not returned.

I think your best bet is to call them (whatever the french postal service is) and see if they would've accepted the blade if you blunted it to 90 degrees.

Thanks Dave for your suggestion. My daughter who lives in France has given me some idea of the French bureaucracy in all parts of government systems. I am a little pessimistic that I would receive a useful answer, but, having said that, our local post office, is not very informative.

I lie about whats in there.
Have had to send a number of hydraulic bicycle disc brakes over the last couple of years and I know anything with hydraulic fluid in it is a restricted item and will be seized if they know its in there.
They then sell these seized parcels to dealers who put them on ebay.
So I felt the easiest thing to do was simple not tell than and say it was something else.

What I find hypocritical though is the post office transport new disc brakes and new bikes with disc brakes, along with air shocks under considerable pressure on a daily basis from major companies, so clearly it isnt that much of a problem for them.
Although that said, theres probably some sort of extras insurance premium these companies pay i would imagine, but it stands that they do send, except not for over the counter customers.

If asked in this case, I'd probably say some old tools, and iof they asked specifically about blades - though there the actual regulation might well pertain to blades on knives rather then encapsulated plane blades, then I would just plainly tell some whoppers and say no.

When asked what was in the parcel I had the same problem sending a couple of ordinary chisels by post office within the uk so went back next day and said woodworking tools and no issues.
Similar situation but this time posting a Makita drill battery - it seemed you can only send a battery it its attached to the item its made for - so next day it was part of an electric drill no issues.
Might a solution be for the plane to be put on ebay allowing international sales but restricting to France (and the UK) and put it on as best offer accepted with a listing price of something silly £200 or so. The French person (your daughter) bids and you accept the best offer say of 5Euros and end the auction by accepting that offer. You will post it to eBay's uk distribution centre and they send it to France - I doubt there will be an issue. You pay uk postage (£3.20) or so and the buyer has to pay whatever ebay advertise postage as. Worth seeing what the

Back