postage costs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Phil Pascoe

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
:roll: I recently sold some tools and books on evilbay and got quite nicely stitched up on the postage charges. I quoted the buyer what I thought was a fair price for p&p, went to the P.O. to post them and in virtually every case they they cost more than I had allowed for. In most cases it was "sorry, you can't use 2nd class - it's 20mm to long - it'll have to go 1st" or "sorry, that's 100gms to heavy for normal parcel" I've thought about passing useful stuff on here, but this has put me off - I sell something worth a tenner to someone as a favour for a fiver, then expect them to pay £8 for the postage - they'd just as well have gone somewhere and bought it for a tenner in the first place! Any suggestions (other than not to bother :) )?

I don't think you were "stitched up" so much as guessed the wrong price for postage.

Go here http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder to get the correct postage cost before you make an eBay listing.

For extra large or heavy items use a carrier rather than the PO. A Google search will find many and they all have price finders.

+1 Interparcel. Just had to mail 2 parcels each 5Kg, about 60cm x 50cm x 20cm - about £9 each, 48 hr delivery from collection, and they come and collect. They also had cheaper options as low as about £6 but it involved printing things etc.

condeesteso":1klqclvu said:
+1 Interparcel. Just had to mail 2 parcels each 5Kg, about 60cm x 50cm x 20cm - about £9 each, 48 hr delivery from collection, and they come and collect. They also had cheaper options as low as about £6 but it involved printing things etc.
I always used their economy service (UPS), you have tp print your own labels but that's not a problem, in true Blue Peter style I cover the label in clear sticky back plastic incase it gets wet in the rain!

Stew

Back