Post Support Bases

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jamesc

Established Member
Reaction score
I need some way of keeping the support posts for a garden arbor out of the ground as the area regularly floods for 2-3 months of the year.
I have been looking at http://www.canopyproducts.co.uk/product.php?hdnProductID=164 but my eyes are still watering at the price tag.
Does anyone have a better or cheaper solution or am I going to have to break out my welder and go visit a local galvanizer?

James

could you drive anything into the ground- such as a length of scaffold pole?

Or use elm posts?

Basic stainless threaded rod is available at a fraction of that price. Less than £10 per metre for M12 - either online or in the more workaday boat supply businesses (Though some fancier places have tried to charge up to £30 - maybe a different grade or maybe just trying it on?). Im sure you could rig up something similar to your link with very little trouble.

Dee

Jamesc":1vfzvfez said:
I need some way of keeping the support posts for a garden arbor out of the ground as the area regularly floods for 2-3 months of the year.
I have been looking at http://www.canopyproducts.co.uk/product.php?hdnProductID=164 but my eyes are still watering at the price tag.
Does anyone have a better or cheaper solution or am I going to have to break out my welder and go visit a local galvanizer?

James

They really are taking the pi88 !!

How abut these http://www.screwfix.com/p/post-anchor-b ... 00mm/66063
Each one only gives 25mm clearance but at that price you could stack several to get above your flood level.

hth

Bob

PS if you go down the DIY and galvanising approach, I got a very good deal on galvanising by leaving my items with a local steel fabricator and he bundled them in with his next order - cost me something like £20 cash rather than £60 odd plus vat which was the minimum order at Wessex galvanising in Eastleigh at the time.

PVC pipe sunk into the ground, leaving the required height exposed, and filled with concrete. Either use that as the base, or embed steel rods whilst the concrete is wet.

Thanks guys for the suggestions, I think I am going to go down the DIY route, this was supposed to be a simple job to earn som brownie points.

Why is the simple jobs always take more time and effort the the big projects.

I think I am going to embed stainless Steel threaded rod into concrete (probably inside some PVC Tube) and make up some big stainless washers to sit the posts on. The post fixings are in sloping ground, but to make things look right I want all the posts at the same height, particularly when it floods.

Thanks for all your ideas guys, I will post a piccy of two when I am done (don't hold your breath).

Bob If I need to use mild steel rather than S/S I will be in touch, thanks

James

20 yrs ago I was faced with the same problem, my solution was this.
In old money, a 5/8 dia hole up the centre of the post which was 3 x 3 inch square, a 1/2 dia mild steel bar up the hole. Then a 2 inch square steel plate welded onto the shaft for the timber to rest on clear of the ground.
Next was a 6 inch square steel plate welded to the shaft to rest on the ground, the shaft to pass through and into the ground to stop the assembly from moving sideways.
They are still there!

Roy.

A few years ago I needed to create a base for a timber deck in the garden on a slope, so it needed to be off the ground at the lower end.

My solution was inspired by a builders skip near where I lived ..... they were getting rid of that large black ribbed drain / utilities pipework off cuts. I think it was about 200mm + diameter. They had maybe 20 offcuts about 600mm to 800mm long. After a polite chat with the site foreman I took about 10 of them.

Then dug holes and placed these drain offcuts vertically in the holes and roughly levelled across the tops. After that I mixed up cement and filled them to the top. Before the cement went off I placed M12 stainless steel threaded rod in each "drain". After a couple of days I placed a nut then a large washer on each rod, drilled the bearer beams to accept the rod and counter sunk the top to accept another washer and bolt.

To get the bearers level you just adjust the bottom screw, then when all level tighten the top screw. Where there was any excess rod I round it off with an angle grinder. The whole structure was rock solid when complete.

Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back