Post something COVID social distancing has allowed....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D_W

Established Member
Reaction score
..one of the nice things (among the chaos) about working at home has been the ability to make fresh bread daily.

We're to have nathan's hotdogs for dinner tonight (that would be giant american food to most overseas), and normally, we'd end up waiting until someone could go to the store to get trashy hot dog buns.

Instead of making a loaf of bread today, I'm about to go upstairs and form a dough ball into rolls for the dogs later.....

....and since I'm home and the line of when to stop work has been blurred (I can continue to do it later), I'll gather up some offcuts and we'll cook the dogs outside over an offcut fire.

because my work has spilled into the evenings due to lack of discipline, I've actually done less woodworking, though :?

Also, since in chalk all over the neighborhood are sayings like "love thy neighbor from at least 6 feet away", kids haven't been playing together. My spouse implemented "bear in the window" day today, and all over the neighborhood (as kids are now being schooled at home) the windows and front door walks are littered with teddy bears.

I have been waiting a week and a half for my flour order, the mill had 10000 orders in 4 days, where they would normally have 100 orders a day.

It's allowed me to make serious attempts to lower the liquid levels in the bottles of spirits dating from holidays long ago. I'm working on the Southern Comfort - we carried it in our skiing hip flasks. Next up is the Williams schnapps.
Brian

Yojevol":26o1ilpw said:
It's allowed me to make serious attempts to lower the liquid levels in the bottles of spirits dating from holidays long ago. I'm working on the Southern Comfort - we carried it in our skiing hip flasks. Next up is the Williams schnapps.
Brian

Working my way through a bottle of black cow vodka...its delicious!

craigsalisbury":dfkl0y6i said:
I have been waiting a week and a half for my flour order, the mill had 10000 orders in 4 days, where they would normally have 100 orders a day.

I buy the wheat whole (so that the germ is still in it - plus just to play). It's been difficult to find good hard white wheat compared to what it normally is.

Plenty of hard red wheat - people still have standards!

D_W":35kiorjh said:
craigsalisbury":35kiorjh said:

I buy the wheat whole (so that the germ is still in it - plus just to play). It's been difficult to find good hard white wheat compared to what it normally is.

Plenty of hard red wheat - people still have standards!
ill have to give that a look into, I normally buy from shipton mill, but i do have a dry container for the vitamix that will make flour so hmmmmm maybe a new project :)

I use a mill called a nutrimill. Have the vitamix, but no dry containers. The speed control pot on the nutrimill isn't great ( mine at least), but I've ground at least 500 pounds of flour with it so far.

What I gather is it has two rotating discs with fingers that run about vitamix speed, but like the vitamix, it blasts things to bits instead of slowly crushing.

Easy to find a wheat variety then and grind fresh. Hard white over here is wonderful. Has flavor that soft white doesn't and a lot of protein without being bitter.

D_W":1yv5lkys said:
I use a mill called a nutrimill. Have the vitamix, but no dry containers. The speed control pot on the nutrimill isn't great ( mine at least), but I've ground at least 500 pounds of flour with it so far.

What I gather is it has two rotating discs with fingers that run about vitamix speed, but like the vitamix, it blasts things to bits instead of slowly crushing.

Easy to find a wheat variety then and grind fresh. Hard white over here is wonderful. Has flavor that soft white doesn't and a lot of protein without being bitter.

i'm going to be doing some digging into picking up some wheat today, I had a buddy of mine pick up a couple of vitamix containers in the US and bring them back as they were half the cost of the UK......still haven't used the dry container (hammer)

Yojevol":2dbgqbeo said:
Brian
Southern Comfort used to be good when it was whiskey based, but now it neutral spirit based it's comparatively tasteless.

Its allowed my mrs to paint a bedroom and spring clean the house.
Twice :shock:
My hand is now slipping off the door knobs they are so shiny. :lol: :lol:

sunnybob":2v6mzfas said:

Feeling a need to clean the windows and tiles (while being a lazy git) I bought one of them new fangled window vacs....which works surprisingly well.

So feeling brave i decided it would be a good idea to clean the outside of the upstairs windows....with a fear of heights. seems like the best time to overcome these.

my task was completed although i was soo stiff on the ladder i actually pulled the muscle in my left leg (hammer) (hammer)

It's given me a good opportunity to send letters to my neighbours (that I only vaguely know) offering help and a chat if they want it. They've sent letters back too so that feels like a good step forward!

Yesterday my 9 year old daughter chose a carrot cake recipe and then made the whole thing completely by herself - it was literally the best carrot cake I've ever eaten, really light and spicey.

craigsalisbury":8v0qsl4n said:
D_W":8v0qsl4n said:

i'm going to be doing some digging into picking up some wheat today, I had a buddy of mine pick up a couple of vitamix containers in the US and bring them back as they were half the cost of the UK......still haven't used the dry container (hammer)

Sorry to hear that the vitamix stuff isn't distributed more appropriately there. People complain about the prices here, but it's a simple and wonderful machine. My kids were slow to eat vegetables early on, and it was fairly easy to find some that were healthy but didn't kill the flavor of other things and hide them with a vitamix.

craigsalisbury":d8zqbunj said:
sunnybob":d8zqbunj said:

Feeling a need to clean the windows and tiles (while being a lazy git) I bought one of them new fangled window vacs....which works surprisingly well.

So feeling brave i decided it would be a good idea to clean the outside of the upstairs windows....with a fear of heights. seems like the best time to overcome these.

my task was completed although i was soo stiff on the ladder i actually pulled the muscle in my left leg (hammer) (hammer)

Bravo for overcoming a fear, but old people falling off ladders is a major cause of incomer to the funeral trade.
Leave that to the younger generation. :roll:

sunnybob":28e42eyc said:
craigsalisbury":28e42eyc said:
sunnybob":28e42eyc said:

Bravo for overcoming a fear, but old people falling off ladders is a major cause of incomer to the funeral trade.
Leave that to the younger generation. :roll:

ummm in only 45 :roll: (hammer) (hammer)

I will rephrase my reply, please replace "old" with "older"
=D> =D> 8)
But seriously, ladder climbing is not for people who are "old" or "afraid". In my village alone in the last 10 years 3 "older" men have died from falls to the concrete below.

I'm officially banned courtesy of my dodgy knees, which annoys the hell out of me because I never feared heights and used to love sitting on rooftops looking at the scenery.

:As an *older* person, :D I don't plan on making a habit of it. im fine with the ladders in extended-step-mode, i just don't like the flexing

Phil Pascoe":nvcp340f said:
Southern Comfort used to be good when it was whiskey based, but now it neutral spirit based it's comparatively tasteless.
Well I'm down to the last 2" and still tasting good. I'm no expert so I can't say whether it's 'comparatively' good. It must be well over 25 years old so does that mean it's the 'old stuff'?
Brian

Back