Post Boxes material question

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

knappers

Established Member
Reaction score
The same chap as I just built a signpost for;

P4151818.jpg

Also wants me to build him some postboxes to integrate into this fence ;

P4151820.jpg

We were thinking along the lines of this ;

option3.jpg

As I'm new at this, the question is what to make it from, given that it will be exposed to the elements. Ply? Tanalised 1"x6" dominoed together?

I was also thinking of putting raised panel doors on the back. Not sure what is best for the panels in those either.

Any suggestions as to how you would do this would be most welcome.

Thanks

Si.

Made a start on the fronts for the post boxes today. Cut the lettering with my trusty home made Woodgears Pantograph.

08c73bf4.jpg

The box itself will be made from planed tanalised softwood (client's choice), as he wants it to match the fence and signpost, and he may well decide to paint them anyway.

Si

They look very nice, your Woodgears Pantograph has done a good job. Was it difficult & time consuming to build?

What have you got fronts resting on ...... looks like some sort of jig?

Go for your life - mine is based on the Eagle Lake design anyway, with a few extras...

Si.

I am looking for some reasonably priced 64/65mm hinges and screws to suit for the doors for the back of this... Anybody got any recommendations. Note, it's for external use.

Si.

Back