Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is Stitchy the leather stitcher. I don't need a permanent place for my leather stitcher but I do have to store it in the workshop so I made a case to protect it from dust and to make it a little easier to move. It's made from old pine floorboards and 3mm plywood. The case is very light but the cast iron machine is quite heavy and awkward to lift with two hands hence the two handles either end of the cover. It also lifts off the drawer section for when I want to clamp it to a bench. The three handles to the drawers are made from upholstery leather wrapped around 30mmx5mm paracord. I've ordered some more catches which are a little stronger and all matching
. P1080517.jpgP1080491.jpg

This is Stitchy the leather stitcher. I don't need a permanent place for my leather stitcher but I do have to store it in the workshop so I made a case to protect it from dust and to make it a little easier to move. It's made from old pine floorboards and 3mm plywood. The case is very light but the cast iron machine is quite heavy and awkward to lift with two hands hence the two handles either end of the cover. It also lifts off the drawer section for when I want to clamp it to a bench. The three handles to the drawers are made from upholstery leather wrapped around 30mmx5mm paracord. I've ordered some more catches which are a little stronger and all matching
.View attachment 141551View attachment 141552
Is that 1 of those little Chinese cobbler machines that pop up on the tube for around £100? Is it any good?

Stitchy is like a very cut down version of the leather sewing machine my mum had decades ago. Was it originally meant to be mounted on some kind of industrial fixture?
Next question: Did you make those nice black handles?

I plan to have a little stall outside the makerspace for when parents collect the kids at the end of the day (the joy of living in the school grounds, they have to walk past my door to get to the school) and the PTA have said I can have a stall at the school Christmas fayre.
I am very creative so need to be making something all the time, luckily when I need a break from woodturning I can go back to papercrafting,
View attachment 141191View attachment 141192View attachment 141193View attachment 141194View attachment 141195View attachment 141196View attachment 141197View attachment 141198View attachment 141199View attachment 141200
Stig, you're a force of nature.

I love it!

Is that 1 of those little Chinese cobbler machines that pop up on the tube for around £100? Is it any good?
It's great if you want to stitch anything thick. So far I've had it stitching 8mm folded leather. If you only want to straight stitch then it takes a lot of work away from hand stitching. I've done some axe head covers for my brother-in-law which are around 6-8mm thick at the seams. When I make another one I'll post it here.

Stitchy is like a very cut down version of the leather sewing machine my mum had decades ago. Was it originally meant to be mounted on some kind of industrial fixture?
Next question: Did you make those nice black handles?
The black handles on the box are rescued one from a cabinet. Come to think of it I think the 3mm ply is from the same cabinet. I should have taken photographs of how to make the leather handles. They are so easy.

.View attachment 141551View attachment 141552
Where do you find a machine like that?

Unsure if this counts, but here's my attempt at a Sycamore leaf using leftovers from an old oak table (you can still see the joins).

This was intended as nothing other than a trial run with some gouges that I'd been given recently, although I did use a bandsaw to cut out the shape. The more time that I spent on the leaf, the more I wanted to keep it :) (Even with the old joint being clearly visible).

Attachments

• 20220806_180836.jpg
    20220806_180836.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Oh balls. Been working on the bench build, promise I’ll do an update soon. Anyhow I was cutting a housing joint and no idea how but I managed to mess the marking up, only on one side, and then cut it out in completely the wrong place. Grrrr, annoyed now.
View attachment 141642
View attachment 141643

Fitz.
You are not the first and for sure wont be the last thats done that. If all woodworkers were perfect then that rule about starting out with a bit extra timber on projects would not be required.
Bu&&er when it happens but mistakes are part of the learning process.
Regards
John

Yep very good for the money, takes a bit of getting used to and tweaking of a few parts. I did find on some jobs that 2 hands are needed to manipulate the leather rather than 1, with one turning the handle. So I managed to power it quite simply with an old electric drill and drive belt with foot pedal speed control.

The first of four plant stands. Heavy weight, as the moneyplants to go on them are rather large. Made from table legs from Dave Dalby Woodturning (Dave Dalby Woodturning - Home) - the actual pictures aren't showing atm as they're shut for holidays. The legs are upended, a bit of decoration put on the square end and a tenon turned on the other. I'll touch a few blemishes up, undercoat again and my daughter can paint her two as she pleases.

DSC02226.JPG
DSC02227.JPG
DSC02228.JPG

Latest posts

Back