Post a photo of the last thing you made

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Desk for my niece.
Made from English Elm.
Finished with Danish oil
Three coats of Rustins Poly
Briwax.

Just getting too to be old lugging this size stuff about.
Mike

Top...forgot that but..lol

20220803_100243.jpg

So I couldn't wait to use the new live centres and to finish the trophy I started yesterday, I couldn't find a decent bit of Oak or Hawthorn so I used my last piece of spalted birch and have to say I love the result, sanded to 400g then abrasive paste and finished with yandles brand diamond wax
View attachment 140871View attachment 140872
I did get a shock when I touched the live centre during turning, I wasn't prepared for how hot it would get and burnt my knuckle a bit 😯
Don't leave too much pressure on, dig it in then back off a little, I have two of your old bearings here burnt out mate.

Very nice work. Are the joints on the first box Lap Joints or Lap Dovetails? I can't quite see, are the fillets of the second box square or dovetail? I like the contrast. (I always called them dovetail wedges but if they aren't at an angle, it seems the wrong word)
Well done
Martin
Thanks Martin. It's a lap joint.

As I've only one box in my post I'm wondering though if your question was to @Dr Al ?

@David with splinters gorgeous start mate, can't wait to see the final result.

So the other half was in a hit and run by a lorry driver on the motorway last night, she is mostly OK, so as you can imagine I'm feeling rather frustrated so went out to calm down at the temple of wood, I haven't been happy with my previous creation so decided to have another go and keep the opening as I had originally intended, it came out perfectly, here's a few pics of today's one, a pic of the piece next to one of the skittles it started life as and finally a pic of both creations, today's is definately better and I can't believe I got the 'collar' sectio at identical heights without trying, the 1st one wasn't even out there with me.
20220806_145355.jpg
20220806_145406.jpg
20220806_145414.jpg
20220806_145418.jpg
20220806_145323.jpg
20220806_145636.jpg

Previous one finished with walnut oil, today's one finished with 2 coats of polished hard wax

I wish your wife all the best and a speedy recovery.

You seem to turn out quite a lot of pieces. I am curious on what you do with them all? You must have hundreds.
I think around 100 pieces since I started in November, I've sold quite a few pieces to staff at work, I've gifted a lot to friends and family, I have a shelf in the maker space with most of what I still have and the rest are in the house, probably about 15 to 20 pieces.

I think around 100 pieces since I started in November, I've sold quite a few pieces to staff at work, I've gifted a lot to friends and family, I have a shelf in the maker space with most of what I still have and the rest are in the house, probably about 15 to 20 pieces.
I was a bit the same in my early days of turning. The bug bites and you are on the lathe at every spare minute you have. The result is masses of turnings to dispose of. After a while all the friends and family are at saturation point and you have to slow down the production line. These days I am happy to do something when someone asks and handles, knobs and odd bits for general woodworking. While not turning as much as I used to I still love it.
Regards
John

I was a bit the same in my early days of turning. The bug bites and you are on the lathe at every spare minute you have. The result is masses of turnings to dispose of. After a while all the friends and family are at saturation point and you have to slow down the production line. These days I am happy to do something when someone asks and handles, knobs and odd bits for general woodworking. While not turning as much as I used to I still love it.
Regards
John
I plan to have a little stall outside the makerspace for when parents collect the kids at the end of the day (the joy of living in the school grounds, they have to walk past my door to get to the school) and the PTA have said I can have a stall at the school Christmas fayre.
I am very creative so need to be making something all the time, luckily when I need a break from woodturning I can go back to papercrafting,
20220526_175338.jpg
20220526_175415.jpg
20220526_175438.jpg
20220526_175307.jpg
20220526_175137.jpg
20220526_174923.jpg
IMG-20210326-WA0008.jpeg
20201203_165149.jpg
20210222_161231.jpg
20181029_081755.jpg

Our Pearl wedding anniversary coming up so have started on a present for Mrs Splinters. Beech and Walnut.
Today’s progress is the box lid. Two little mother of pearl dots to cut and fit still but my eyes have given up for the day.

Attachments

• E046EF12-DBD7-45BC-9363-0EFB1FAC82ED.jpeg
    E046EF12-DBD7-45BC-9363-0EFB1FAC82ED.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
I made Sandy the sanding machine. It doesn't have chicken wire sticking out of it! That is a rolled up dog barrier in the background.
sandy-the-sander.jpg

Not finished yet. The table isn't fastened down, and the motor (which came from some kind of water pump) is missing the cover for the electrics. So I need to make a cover for it out of something.

That's just a regular small sanding disk glued to the front. I started off more ambitious but relying on gluing some very rubbish ply that I found, to the nut which used to be the hub of the water pumping impeller, proved fiddly and I messed it up.. It's barely level as it is. So I'll be making a better version when I'm not in a rush to actually use it! Starting with a better hub - I'll see if I can build up the nut with something since it's already got plastic round it.

Actually Sandy the sanding machine isn't the last thing I made. Potty the parts pot is the last thing I made - it's the cardboard core from a (Sky) cable reel with a piece of thin board glued to the base, which I was then able to sand down the edges of using Sandy the sanding machine!

I don't normally name my creations. Must be the weather.

Latest posts

Back